Campag / Shimano compatibility?

sisyphus

Retro Guru
I was going to ask if there would be any problems with me running a shimano 9 speed cassette with a campagnolo deraileur......but then i just tried it and it seems fine.....so why did i think it wouldnt.....( this now seems like the most pointless thread ever?)

:LOL: i love the way you tested it but still posted!

I also kindof assumed they wouldn't work together, but i have ridden bikes which were a compagnolo crankset and shimano deraileurs, worked fine...but i'd have never thought of putting them together myself.

I think the main thing you can't put together is the tapered bits because one won't fit the other but i'm sure i have read someone on here put them together with no problems? although they arent perfect it does work.

yes I know - it was like I thought someone would say "Nooooo your wheels will drop off after 7.2 days "!

Anyway Ive decided to build a cheap fast commuter bike Im not scared of losing in Bristol - hence Im using anything Ive got in the shed.

the shifter , mech combo is the most important . the cassette doesnt matter that much .

Sorry, that's not true, Campag 8,9 and 10 speed cassettes have different spacing to Shimano.
You can often get most to index OK when cables and outers are new, as the floating top jockey takes up the errors. However, add a bit of dirt and wear and shifting deteriorates rapidly.

Look on the CTC website for a full list of compatibility tricks, such as the hubbub mod.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

Back