Is This Tyre Safe To Use

TheElectronKid

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Just taken this tyre off an oldish wheelset and found one of the metal beads broken where it has rusted.
The tread on the tyre is still ok, so do you think it would be safe to use if I tidied up the frayed wire and used some tape to protect the inner tube.

Attachments

• tyres 001.JPG
    tyres 001.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 857
:shock: ...you might be able to bodge something, but why risk it? I certainly wouldn't feel too happy about riding it once it was repaired the bead is pretty integral.

Just buy a new tyre, there are plenty coming up on here part used for next to nothing.

The reason I'm asking is because I bought a wheelset which included these tyres.
I'm not happy about the state of the tyres, but the seller seems to think they're fine.

Attachments

• tyres 001.JPG
    tyres 001.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 820
  • tyres 004.JPG
    tyres 004.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 820
I would not use those tyres at all

The seller is having a laugh saying they're OK to use.

...or stay on the rim. the bead is blown, they'd be dangerous to ride.

tires are renewable resources....if the wheels are good, great! get yourself some new tires :)

crikey :shock: I consider myself a bit of a bodger but even I would just throw those straight in the bin. If you value your life/teeth/skin then chuck them and fit new tyres, and complain to the seller too.

There only fit for the trash unless you are rioting on the streets to protest at pensions then they make good fire material :LOL:

Latest posts

Back