What's special about Brooks Proofide then?

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
Question for all you Brooks users. I've used clear boot polish top and bottom on my saddle up to now and it's been fine. Except a couple of severe saddle soakings recently (that you're not supposed to do to Brooks saddles) have got me thinking. Is Proofide actually any better? What exactly is in the stuff?

It's definitely got wool grease in it. It soaks into the leather far more than polish and keeps it supple. I've used dubbin in the past and it's similarly good.
Polish also has colour in it, proofide is clear. So you don't get a grey or brown smudge on your shorts. :shock:

Its good stuff, just be aware its not a leather restorer it will only create a protective layer. If restoring dried out leather use a good oil based leather restorer first. Terry

I used this on an old one I got and it has softened it a great deal. I then used shoe polish on the top.

I now have a pair of light coloured shorts that I can only wear sat down.

hamster":1ryvsu6g said:
It's definitely got wool grease in it. It soaks into the leather far more than polish and keeps it supple. I've used dubbin in the past and it's similarly good.
Ah I see. I think wool grease is lanolin. It's probably more durable than beeswax.

hamster":1ryvsu6g said:
Polish also has colour in it, proofide is clear. So you don't get a grey or brown smudge on your shorts. :shock:
Ha! I've been using clear polish, but you still get a shiny bum :D

Saddle oil isn't a bad idea for older saddles. I might get some for the underside of mine.

Back