1959 Rotrax 'Concours' Path - New Photos & Final(ish) Build

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
1959 Rotrax 'Concours' Path frame

Quick peek of my current project... will update as I slowly get it together.

(I'll not be using the green Airlite on this! Not right, was just looking!)

rotrax.jpg

rotrax_2.jpg

rotrax_3.jpg

rotrax_4.jpg
[/i]

That looks seriously nice. Living room is lovely too - with me, an improvement in my bikes means a corresponding untidiness in the living room :oops:

Goldie":1grxm172 said:
That looks seriously nice. Living room is lovely too - with me, an improvement in my bikes means a corresponding untidiness in the living room :oops:

It only gets to be in there because my wife's on holiday! You should see the other room... A clutter of bike bits, and stacks of wood for the half finished table I'm in the middle of making.

Nice to see someone else in the same boat. What else do you do with a whole box of slowly accumulating bike parts but take photos of them and post them online? My bike project is a bit younger than this and the parts a little easier to come by, but still it's taking forever!

Steel and aluminium just look so good in photos don't they?

BTW there are a lot of tasty parts there. I especially like the Stronglight steel cranks! b

Bendo":1g1n4pm8 said:
My bike project is a bit younger than this and the parts a little easier to come by, but still it's taking forever!

Steel and aluminium just look so good in photos don't they?

Thanks for the nice reply.

I agree. I also find if you don't take photos, often bills mean the parts never make it to the final bike and you've nothing to remember them by!

The Stronglight cranks were the succesfull part of my recent rechroming experience. Lovely and slender and nice simple ring pattern. I love shiny stuff, but they're almost too shiny even for me. I keep thinking of fireplaces and gaudy candalarbras!

So what is your 'younger' project your working on?

I thought I had by blog in my sig. It's here:
http://feelofsteel.blogspot.com
I'm restoring my 1975 Viscount Aerospace Sport with the complete first generation Dura Ace groupset. But the frame prep and paint job has taken 5 months so far, and while I thought things were close to being finished, it has been pushed back a bit further.

Chrome-plating as it happens, has been one of the problems. A local company who do large volumes of industrial chrome plating re did my forks. The job looked OK until my mechanic went to fit the new headset and the locking ring just rattled on the steerer tube. Dunno how they did it, but somewhere along the way they shrank the diameter of the thread on the steerer tube! So my original Viscount forks are now a display piece! b :evil:

PS - Don't hock too much of that lovely gear. I want to see this bike finished. I think it's great how you've got info about the factory (with a picture of the workers even!) on your Tumblr page. For me a bike is all about where and when it was made. b

While having a reinvigorated spate of posting in the Classics forum, thought I'd ressurect this thread...

I finally finished this blasted Rotrax recently. Coincidently, it was all done nigh on two years to the day after buying the frame. No great shots of it yet, but a teaser below.

rotrax_completed.jpg

It's already changed guise since this snap...

Some GB Maes bars to replace the GB Maitland ones. The steep curves and deep drops of the Maitlands are great for long cruising on quiet roads, but for me, terrible in the city. The weight differential and with no flat sections made the handling odd and instable feeling when weaving around. So despite their pretty looks, they had to go. After all, any long term relationship of substance is based on trust!!

Will add proper photos soon.

Back