Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:39 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:54 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi
I have recently bought a Dawes Galaxy and wondered if anyone knew how I can tell what year it is? The seller had owned it from new, but it was old stock in the shop. His guess was it was 15 years old, but I think it is older than that.

The serial number one the bottom bracket shell starts with some initals (I guess that was who handbuilt it), followed by a series of numbers, two of which are 8 and 7, so I have a hunch it was made in 1987. Does anyone know if this is how Dawes mark up their serial numbers?

Also, if it is a 1987, does anyone have a link to a catalogue online?

Many thanks in advance :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:17 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi

Until someone more knowledgeable comes along, from what little I've learnt of Galaxy's it may help people id the era it's from by checking what size wheels are present (27 inch or 700c), what type of brakes are fitted, how many gears it has front and back, how may pannier eyelets are fitted (front forks etc). Also, a picture would really help, especially as the decals on the frame changed over the years. I have an old Galaxy frame myself that I will be asking for help dating but I'm sure it is mid 80's or older.

I think the Galaxy's are great bikes, I did one up last year and loved it, it's what got me interested in old bikes as before that I rode a modern hybrid.

A link to a 90's catalogue is in this post here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94770

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:05 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Galaxies are v.good bikes, but they weren't handbuilt - despite the claims made in marketing and on the bike(decals).

And never a good idea to date a bike on components...Dawes probably made too many to even begin to grasp the numbering system.

I guess if you can date it by paint finish - within a few years - that's the best you can expect.

Enjoy riding it.

Roadking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:10 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thank you. Will take some pics and try to upload some, but its a two tone sort of dark red, blending into a burgundy with white lettering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:28 am 
Old School Grand Master

I would've guessed circa early eighties. My elder brother had a dark red - light red fade Dawes Lightning for his eleventh birthday in 1980. Here's a Galaxy with the same colour scheme:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52275883@N ... otostream/