Forks and geometry

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
Hi, here are two of my steelies, both Aelle tubing; the Olagnero (52 seat / 53 top ) has original forks whereas the Ciocc ( 53/ 54 ) has replacement forks.
As you can see the Olag sits snug on the fork crown whereas the Ciocc has a gap between the headtube and crown resulting is pushing the wheel further in front of the down tube. The front of the bike sits marginally higher I think, but rides perfectly.
So... is this 'wrong'? how is handling affected? do I need to fit new pair of forks ( Columbus etc ) ?

any comments / advice appreciated

Attachments

• DSC00659.jpg
    DSC00659.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC00660.jpg
    DSC00660.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 461
Nice bikes :cool: but in my eyes the ciocc wont look 'right' until you fit correct forks, its a lovely looking bike that deserves to look right, proper forks will correct geometry on frame angles and close gap between tyre and down tube, i reckon there's lots of forks on ebay that would do the job, you know you want to ;)

gordy":3ixhxrds said:
Nice bikes :cool: but in my eyes the ciocc wont look 'right' until you fit correct forks, its a lovely looking bike that deserves to look right, proper forks will correct geometry on frame angles and close gap between tyre and down tube, i reckon there's lots of forks on ebay that would do the job, you know you want to ;)

as I thought :D

so steerer length needed is top of headset to bottom of lower headset less 42 mm for campy headset??? ( I should know this! )

No, steerer length is top of headset (less the 2mm or so of the thickness of the overlapping part of the top nut) all the way through to the bottom of the crown race.

Your measurement was the head tube length.

hamster":mpilh808 said:
No, steerer length is top of headset (less the 2mm or so of the thickness of the overlapping part of the top nut) all the way through to the bottom of the crown race.

Your measurement was the head tube length.

ah of course, low blood sugar / head up butt / senior moment :(

Back