Retro Chains

Matt_wood55

Senior Retro Guru
Hi All - I am after a 6 speed chain like the old Sedis Silver / Golds you could buy 20 odd years ago. Does anyone know where you can get them now?

Thanks
Matt

sedis have become or were bought up by SRAM i think. take a loo at KMC chains they have quite a good reputation, or if you want a blue everest chain there was one on ebay the other day.

The Wippermann 700 and 708 series are good, reliable chains for transmissions that use up to a 7sp cluster on the rear, and looks-wise aren't dissimilar to the 5/6/7sp chains of old.

David

I like the look of the Wippermann chains - is 107 links long enough to work with my 52 toothfront and 25 rear?

At the risk of looking a complete cheapskate........

I saw a gold chain in Asda the other day for £4.00, made by Bell. (it had Bell stamped on all the links). Judging on the price they're probably made in China but hey, there are 9 million bicycles in Beijing so they should know how to make a decent chain by now.
I might get one to give it a try. I'll post back if I do.

Ian.

Goldie":2kishbbp said:
I like the look of the Wippermann chains - is 107 links long enough to work with my 52 toothfront and 25 rear?
I estimate 112 to 114. Measure chainstay length from centre to centre, in inches, add on 13 inches for half chainwheel and 6 inches for half rear cog plus a bit for gear tensioners. Then multiply inches by 2 for the number of half inch links.

Back