Is it a bike theft attempt conundrum?

sisyphus

Retro Guru
so this poor man ( not me thank god ) has found that someone has chained their bicycle to his classic bicycle - hes so worried that he slept out all night in the street and they still havent returned. Police say he cant cut the other persons lock because it would be criminal damage........Any suggestions??

This happened to me years ago. Rented pair of bolt croppers, problem solved. Weirdly no one batted an eye or stopped me as i wandered through Leicester with a parge pair of croppers and proceeded to chop through the other persons lock. Pointless involving the police.

Hmm, what will the police do when, the other bike is unlocked and classic bike owners lock is cut, or parts knicked.

I'd get a locksmith to get into the offending lock and release the bike then relock. No damage done.
May cost a few quid, but cheaper and far far easier than replacing a retro bike.

id break the lock and to hell with it...i doubt the smackhead who has done it will go to the police over the broken lock.

another vote for getting the bolt croppers out. no point flapping about, just get it done.

I'd just cut the chain myself... but try and take some sort of proof of ownership of the classic bike, just in case someone calls the cops, or one passes by just when you're cutting the chain!

makes me wonder though, if the classic bike is that important to the owner, why did he leave it locked up outside? I know sometimes there is no other option, but even so...

well another solution is: unchain your own bike from the rail and take them both down to the local police station. Tell the police that you have found this bike chaned to your own and you'd like it returned to the owner. Anyway thats what hes done - police remained adamant that cutting the lock might be "criminal damage".

what if he leaves both bikes at the police station and waits to see if anyone comes to collect if not after 28 days or whatever it is won't both bikes become his. :LOL:

Back