Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:01 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks.
Im guessing the Tube Investment Group sticker is meant to look like this:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

I've just seen one of these locked up outside the post office near Nottm Uni. I'm guessing its for sale as the post office sell bikes and stuff. I googled it and this thread came up, I might go back tomorrow and ask how much they want for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:30 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Sorry to bump an old thread, Forgot to update you all... :oops: :lol:

Its been on its maiden voyage, Awesome ride! Covered it's 11miles up and down hills perfectly.

Also used it to pop into town/cycle path/where-ever on sunny days off :D

Also have bought some toe clips for it, take a bit of getting used to but I much prefer riding with them. :D

Im going to be getting it repainted over the summer, But nowhere local that Ive found is willing to paint it for me properly in a booth....(well, none for sensible money... I had one offer of £125... :shock: )

Last time I painted a bike with rattle cans the tiniest spec of grit I rode through was chipping straight into the paint so am put off going through all that effort again fro a rubbish paint job full of chips...

Brings me onto my main question:::
What do people think the bike is worth currently? (based on the pics) and what would it be worth after a new paint job?

Just wondering if its worth me paying the *gulp* £125 to have it looking great and then paying my mate to cut me replica vinyls for the decals.... :roll:

Or if the bike as it is is worth hardly anything, I may just rub it down to get rid of the tiny surface specs of rust and paint it with something that will not chip as easy (Krylon/rustoleum or something) The downside is it will look like cr@p :( ... but the plus side is the rust specs wont get worse. :?

So people. What is it worth? And what would you do? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:11 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Nobody? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:49 pm 
Retro Guru

What you have is a low end schoolboy bike, well worth the money. I think you have done exactly the right thing, getting it going efficiently without spending. For £125 you could buy a complete classy lightweight.
You have obviously found out how much better and easier a low end bike from the 1970's rides than an imitation MTB with a useless set of gears and energy absorbing components.
You should get used to the original saddle, a bit hard at first.
Toe clips are essential, I hope you have usable quick release straps so that you can tighten them a little and release with a finger when you need to stop. I used to get about 25 / 30% of power from the upstroke, and trained specifically for it by riding perhaps 5 miles with my feet slightly off the pedals.
In 1950 I covered more than 15,000 miles on my BSA Gold Column 10 speed hand built lightweight.
Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:06 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks for the input! :D
I dont have straps yet, I only have the metal toe clips as I wanted to get used to them slowly and not end up laying on my side at a set of traffic lights! :lol: I will keep an eye out for a set of quick release straps though! They sound very sensible compared to a set of white leather ones I was looking at getting!

So you think I am best off just painting it myself and keeping it as a bit of fun without pumping too much money into then :)

One thing I did notice on my ride today (especially since installing the toe clips, probably because I can ride with more power) is that I seem to be able to make the chain jump the teeth on the rear cassette in the higher gears :cry:

does this mean a new cassette? and if so will something like this work:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165540
(Im not bothered about keeping it period if its not worth much, I just want a part that will actually fit on and function..)

Mind you it could also be the rear derailer is not set up correctly...as Ive no idea how to check that.. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:38 pm 
Retro Guru

The halford freewheel should fit but is rather wide ratios, must have a look to see what gear you have, also a standard 1/2 x 3/32 chain, check the number of links you have to make sure it's long enough.
Keith