Replacing an older cassette

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

One of my bikes has some Wolber Profil wheels that I rather like.

However, I could do with replacing the cassette which is 6 speed. - I'd like one which is slightly lower geared - 30T, rather than 26T.

Probably a 'daft' question, but will there be any 7 speed cassette that I could replace it with ?

What viable options are there ? Without re-building the wheel ?

(It is a cassette, not a freewheel)

Sounds like its likely a uniglide freehub. Most 6 or 7 speed (i think the 7 should be ok)uniglide cassettes should work (if you can find one, they dont make them anymore), be careful with dura ace uniglide stuff as i think the splines on the freehub were different.

If you have indexing for 6 speed obviously it wont work with 7, only in friction mode. There are other alternatives like replacing the freehub, preferably to a 126mm 7 speed one to maintain correct wheel dish. But again, you'd have to find one. (Think they only made them briefly for 600, 105 and rx100 - they have both internal and external threads for accepting uniglide and hyperglide cassettes.

Easiest/cheapest solution might be to get a 7 speed hyperglide cassette (the cogs/sprockets are the same width as 6 speed i beleive, just the spacers are thinner) and dismantle both and use say the top 1 or 2 hyperglide sprockets to get a decent ratio cassette. To do this however you would need to file or grind off the wide spline on the sprockets you wish to fit. :)

This should be a suitable donor cassette ending soon!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-7-Speed-C ... 2a113367dd

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Quick thought, have you considered replacing your front small chainring with something smaller than the 42t that is likely there at the moment?

You can't put a 7 on a 6 speed freehub alas. The 6 uses the smallest sprocket as the lock ring, 7 speed and later use a separate lockring.

terryhfs":1n8fut7g said:
You can't put a 7 on a 6 speed freehub alas. The 6 uses the smallest sprocket as the lock ring, 7 speed and later use a separate lockring.

Eh? So does 7 speed uniglide though, ie no lockring, the smallest cog screws on the outside of the freehub.

Back