so how long will exposed bearings last??

Fozz

Dirt Disciple
rebuilt wheels and they are silky smooth, trouble is the old bearing bolt/race had a built in washer that covered the bearings...the new ones don`t..... :shock:

this allows me to clean and grease as often as i like (is the half baked arguement i`m convincing myself with :oops: )but is there anything out there that would help protect them??

Bad luck, I had a similar issue once where the built-in cover came clean away from the cone. I swapped the broken cone to the freewheel side and fashioned a crude cover from a piece of rubber. I've no idea if it lasted very long or was very effective as it was for a mate's daughter's bike.

You could try making something up using a washer of more or less the right size to fit tightly inside the hub shell and fit over the cone. Without anything there you'll be forever cleaning bits of grit out of the bearings.

Mark.

yeah, though as much, motocross guys have a neoprene cup that covers bearings but i think a heath robinson bearing seal will be made up before too long.... :LOL:

well, job done the two front and lhs rear look like they were made for the job,(er,oh yeah, they where :shock: ) and the other is "workmanlike" but can`t be seen anyway.....feel better now....... :)

Back