Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:50 am 
Dirt Disciple

---- bike all the time.
I only ask as i have been riding my Tommasini for the last 18 months most weekends in all weather. I am now looking to by a modern carbon bike as i dont really want to wear out the bike and compoments. They are getting harder and more expensive to replace, just wondered what eveyone else does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:58 am 
Retro Guru

I use a couple of mine everyday for commuting about 10 miles to work but my main concern in Bristol is theft. Im not too worried about parts - as they seem not that hard to source and no more expensive than new stuff. It seems hard wearing too ( same bottom bracket for the last 15 years!!)
On the otherhand some people just have a hack/beater for commuting......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:56 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

My retro mountainbike IS my mountainbike and my 30+ year old tourer is my work bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I dont use it for commuting, just sportives and the odd tt.
As for the par brakes than ts, i have just paid more for a cover for my delta brakes than i paid for a complete of deltas 3 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:53 pm 
Retro Guru

I don't comute on my bikes but I ride one almost everyday. Doesn't matter if it's retro or not. I just use it.

Last saturday I used my 32 year old Vilar (see photo below) to meet with someone that was buying a seatpost from me. He was 15Km away so that was a 30km round trip. On sunday I was buying an old brooks saddle from a different guy and again used that bike to do the 24km round trip. Just remembered. Last friday went on my 1st critical mass ride. That was a 40km round trip. Never seen so my many cyclist together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:35 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
In a nutshell, yes. My MTB is probably the most retro of the lot and the 'cross bike (modern frame with lots of old-school parts) the least; the two road bikes (race and everyday tourer/trainer/commuter, both lugged 531) are somewhere in between as they have modern dual-pivot brakes and Ergopower shifters, with carbon forks and Aheadset on the race bike. None of the quartet are pampered "show ponies" which only leave the shed once in a blue moon, that's for certain.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:41 pm 

This is my connundrum at the moment. I use my bike constantly to get back and forth, but I think as it's an old one it needs a little more love and attention than what I give. I probably need to get a everyday bike for ferrying myself about and then use the road bike for any long journeys - only way to afford this though is to sell the classic :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Absolutely - but I divide my time between four bikes and try and treat them all with respect. Having more than one bike really works for me - it means I can take my time with repairs and maintenance, and I never have to ride a bike that really needs some wrnech time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:16 pm 
Old School Grand Master

My road machine is a 1994 Litespeed with Record and Chorus. Yes, I ride it all year round, but I pay a bit more attention to getting the salt off in winter and try to keep a bit of a WD40 film on all the alu parts like mechs.
Up to you if you consider a road bike of that age retro!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:30 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I have just added up my mileage for the last 4 months and have clocked up over 2000 miles :shock:

I just want to keep it in good condition, i dont want the bike to become a show bike but on the other hand i dont want to end up being a shed.