Can anyone help me to identify this Falcon frame?

Hallsy

Devout Dirtbag
Hi guys, newbie here :D

I'm looking to build up a reasonably cheap singlespeed bike, just for something different to commute on, do a bit of road riding, etc (I'm a modern MTB man usually).

Been looking around and found a bike locally that will need a few new bits & paint, but could be a good bet, just don't really know anything about the frame.

I can see that it's a Falcon, and from my limited knowledge, looks more like a tourer frame than racer frame?

Can anyone identify it from these pictures?

photo (2) by Hallsy01, on Flickr

photo (1) by Hallsy01, on Flickr

photo (5) by Hallsy01, on Flickr

I must confess, Falcon is not a name I have come across whilst looking around (had been looking at Raleigh, Peugeot, Holdsworth, Carlton - or similar). Were they any good back in the day, any idea on tubing type?

Just wondering if it will be worth a punt or better avoided!

Any help appreciated :)

Falcon is a very well known brand, surprised you've not come across them. They used to make a very wide range of bikes from top quality racing machines (ridden by there own pro team) to 'gas pipe' cheapo's. Still going but part of one of the big groups and supplying far eastern bikes wholesale.

Yours looks like a middle to low end frame (thin plate rear ends) but nice fork crown. I doubt very much if anyone would have actually raced on it but it could be built up as a 'racer' - or a 'tourer' if you prefer.

I wouldn't pay much for it, especially as it has no gears, brakes etc. Needs a bit of work to get roadworthy - but do-able all the same.

Thanks for that, I've been doing a bit of reading around and gather that falcon were a fairly solid British frame manufacturer, if mostly low to mid end.

Looking at various other frames from falcon I'd agree that it doesn't look particularly high end, but then I'm not looking to go racing!! I'm guessing this one, is a typical gas pipe jobbie, but could make an ok single speed for commuting & the odd road ride.

It's going for £40, which I didn't think was too bad? Probably about right for a basic vintage frame? Bonus if the wheels are worth keeping.

Hallsy":36wj60vs said:
Thanks for that, I've been doing a bit of reading around and gather that falcon were a fairly solid British frame manufacturer, if mostly low to mid end.

Looking at various other frames from falcon I'd agree that it doesn't look particularly high end, but then I'm not looking to go racing!! I'm guessing this one, is a typical gas pipe jobbie, but could make an ok single speed for commuting & the odd road ride.

It's going for £40, which I didn't think was too bad? Probably about right for a basic vintage frame? Bonus if the wheels are worth keeping.

Personally speaking I reckon that's a bit much considering the condition. I wouldn't personally pay any more than half that.

But then I wouldn't buy it anyway ;)

Oh right, thanks for being honest Ned.

I must admit, from having a quick look around in the classifieds & ebay I thought I was going to have to pay £40 minimum for a useable retro frame, so when I saw this one locally with aruguably useable bits like the wheels & cranks, I thought it might be a good shout.

If it's only worth £20 or so I'll give it a miss :)

Just noticed there's a tidy looking Raleigh Elan local to me going cheaply at the mo.

Might have a look at that :)

Hallsy":27pnoq2h said:
Oh right, thanks for being honest Ned.

I must admit, from having a quick look around in the classifieds & ebay I thought I was going to have to pay £40 minimum for a useable retro frame, so when I saw this one locally with aruguably useable bits like the wheels & cranks, I thought it might be a good shout.

If it's only worth £20 or so I'll give it a miss :)

In the end it's only my personal opinion but your ultimate decision. Someone else may think it's a good price.

Back