Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:09 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 45  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:00 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Here's a question for all the single speed riders, what gear ratio do you ride in? and why?

I get the impression that fixed gear riders tend to have a higher ratio than single speeders so they have more control on descents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:50 am 
Old School Hero

Also, it's easier to keep a higher gear going on a fixed. Are you asking about road or dirt? I run 61" fixed & 55" free off road, that's about 10% lower for the freewheel. On road, you don't need as high a gear as some think. I occasionally ride 74" fixed on a light bike with no luggage, but will be doing 200k on 65" next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 am 
Dirt Disciple

I was thinking about road really, especially hilly roads, I know its a fairly personal thing, but just looking at averages really.

I'm going to be building a falcon up as a single speed, but I live in Sheffield which isn't the flattest of areas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:27 pm 
Old School Hero

I'm no kind of expert on gear ratios - hoped someone else would have an opinion here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:28 pm 
Retro Guru

I've got 48/16 (chainring/wheel) with 700C wheels on one and 52/18 with 27" wheels on the other. Both about the same. I could do with a bit more gearing though because I top them out on the flat. I'll probably try and swap to 48/15 or 48/14 on the 700C at some point depending on what my dropout/chain length combo will allow. I'm quite a strong rider so you might not want more than my existing gearing!

Edit: if you've got toeclips you can use a bit more gearing than with plain flat pedals because you can pull up as well as push down and get up them steep hills :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:41 pm 
Dirt Disciple

This program is good to find out gear inches for different gear ratio's... http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

Generally fixed gears have higher gear ratio's so you don't get so spinny on down hills, or just to go faster, I guess a lot of single speeds are used as winter trainers so they choose something a bit easier.

46 or 48:17 is a pretty average gear ratio, anything below 44:17 would be pretty easy, anything over 50:17 would be pretty hard.

Can also be quite tough on your knee's, which is a good reason to go for a easier ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:45 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Jonny69 wrote:
depending on what my dropout/chain length combo will allow.

Guessing its a conversion? half links come in pretty handy for chain tension, usually used on bmx's but you can use 1 or 2 in your chain to get the right length http://velosolo.com/kmcm2f.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Slow day in the office trawling bike sites.. So thought I'd post a couple pics of two of my previous fixed gear bikes (both ran 70 gear inches, which works for me). Image Image The 2nd one is genuinley very much missed! :)

Also built up a single speed mountain bike out of an old Falcon frame (low end BSO type thing) on the weekend. That runs 54"s, feel it could do with being lower tho. It's not a proper bike, was only built to chase my ladyfriends children around the park and as an excuse to get my fingers oily .

Last edited by Some Guy on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 am 
Dirt Disciple

Classy bike you have there, good choice of tyres as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Never Stop wrote:
Classy bike you have there, good choice of tyres as well

Thank you. The white bike was split up, parts went on my current Holdsworth. Been impressed with the Passelas. Still got the white frame (loving the Nervex Pro lugs), but it's now waiting for the right pair of 27" geared wheels & some derailleurs. Or poss just sell the frame as there always seems to another project to do 1st!..

Unless you was taking about the red oxide primer fixie ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 45  Next