Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:44 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:11 pm 
Retro Guru

Just spotted this thread and I mainly ride fixed, so here is a selection of my fixed-gear bikes. All in daily use.

Late 70's Viscount. I got this from an old lady on Freecycle. It was wearing 5 gears and moustache handlebars when I got it and she was convinced it was junk. It was worn out but still useable. I re-built the wheels with new stainless spokes and a vintage flip-flop hub at the back, then steadily dressed it up with narrow alloy drop bars, drop-brakes with suicide levers, 1979 Brooks saddle and the quill pedals. I regret selling this one because it was a really nice smooth ride and had amazing aggressive geometry:

Late 70's Peugeot, the 'Yellow Peril'. This was given to me and was thought to be a Peugeot. Closer inspection of the lugwork identified it as a late 70's Pug which matched one of the lower-end models in the catalogue. I never got on with the steering geometry and the 40H rear wheel made finding a new chrome rim a nightmare, so I donated it to my girlfriend's brother instead of ploughing £££ into building a new set of wheels.

Late 70's Bob Jackson TT. I got the frame from Old Ned on here. When it arrived I was convinced it was going to be too small, but I mocked it up with some spare components and it turned out to be *just* ok. It's a small frame but the bottom bracket is very low so it was a lot bigger to sit on than it looked. I was aiming for that retro pursuit bike look. It's a joy to ride and this is my most-used bike at the moment:

Raleigh Twenty lookalike. This poor bike started life as a Universal shopper. I cut it up and turned it into a chopper and it went through various guises until I decided to put it back to an upright small-wheel shopper to live at work. I built the frame to fit me, so it's tall and short and great for getting round town on. It was single-speed in the photo but it's now got a 13T fixed gear at the back:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:38 pm 
Old School Hero

Some Guy wrote:
Cheers.
I'd seen a link for Gibbs on LFGSS very recently. Seems interesting and I found some easily on Ebay. Although I havn't used it long enough to know if it actualy works yet..
www.roadsters.com/gibbs

Saw the Gibbs product over on there too... Please report back once you've had enough time to experience it SG... I'm interested to hear a review! And to hear if it's as good as they claim it is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:25 pm 
Retro Guru

^That Raleigh 20 looks fun. It's on my must ride before you die bike list.
All I've done with the Gibbs so far is spray it on and wiped with a cloth, a good few times. Bit like Mr Sheen! It's not like spraying paint, much easier.

Not sure how often I'll have to reapply it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:59 pm 
Retro Guru

What gearing are you guys using out of interest? My older bikes had 52/18 and the Bob Jackson has 48/16. It could do with longer legs but the vertical drop-outs limit my range of ratios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:21 pm 
Retro Guru

I forget the number of teeth at the moment and my bike has 27"wheels. But it gives 70 inches on one side of the (fixed/fixed) hub (and a very low 60's on the other side, which I havn't tried yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:31 am 
Old School Hero

I'm running a 44/15, gear inches work out at 78.5. Suits me fine for Yorkshire riding.

I did try a 13 on the back but that was effort!

Jonny69- You could go for a half link chain, would give you more chainring choice. Or if you have time and chainrings at your finger tips you could play around to find a magic gear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Banashapan wrote:
Jonny69- You could go for a half link chain, would give you more chainring choice. Or if you have time and chainrings at your finger tips you could play around to find a magic gear?

I have actually tried a half-link because I have a 15T cog in my box o' bits. I couldn't get the wheel back in the drop-outs though, so I think the either the 16T cog is slightly undersize or the 15T cog is a little oversize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

i love that Raleigh shopper, i had one once, 3 speed with a box on the back, clunky and hardly worked but i loved it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:39 am 
Retro Guru

This is my 2000 Specialized Allez Sport. Not as retro as some but it's 12 years old so it's getting there.

It's an aluminuim frame with the original wheels - Ritchey hubs and Mavic rims, the original Specialized crankset, a knackered white Rolls saddle, the original stem (which gives me a lovely riding position), some unknown-brand bars, Dia-compe brake levers and Campagnolo calipers. Lovely to ride, very light. It has vertical drop-outs but the chain tension seems spot-on, I thought I might need a half-link but it doesn't seem so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:55 pm 
Old School Hero

Thanks for sharing Rich34- that looks incredibly comfortable 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next