Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:48 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Enough bragging about clearances like it's some sort of trophy and not just a nuisance on a daily driver. Pics that count:

Just need some black bar tape and it's done. I'm thinking perforated vinyl for authenticity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:51 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Just sharing my (kind of) SS build. I'm just dipping my toe in to see if I like it, and after a 1st ride this evening I think I do!

Not a vintage bike but it does have some old Sakae custom bars and 105 brakes.

I stripped and polished the frame, and there is a mishmash of components at the minute. I have a cassette and rear mech on there but the mech is fixed on my 15t ring with a 42 at the front. I'm planning on getting a proper conversion for the hub, but I understand I will need to buy a chain tensioner too because of the vertical drops.

I have a Dynatech too, so I'm also toying with the idea of making it SS, and having this bike indexed.

Anyway, here she is so far. I have plans to change lots (seat, bar tape, seat post, cranks etc etc) so work in progress.

Rubbish phone pic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:58 am 
Old School Hero

Jonny69 wrote:

Oh my, that is nice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:40 pm 

My birthday is coming up so my girlfriend bought me a new track frame. The seller said the guy he bought it off before restoring it said it was a german frame but he did not know the brand. From looking at the lugs and a bit of help from google, i think it might be a Gitane. But from what i read all Gitane bikes are french threaded and the seller says this is english threaded? Any help from the retrobike minds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

how to use print screen

image hosting

how to screen capture

screenshot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:02 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Decided to make the Dynatech a SS for a while. I have a 46t chainring on the front and a 16 on the back and needed to run a 1/8 chain because of the chainring.

The seat and bar tape are temporary and I haven't got round to fitting the back brake yet. I also decided to run flat pedals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:41 am 
Old School Hero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Tasty! What are the specs on that?

I've racked up about 600 miles on mine since I posted the pictures. Basically the same except I swapped the bars for some slightly wider ones. I've got black pvc style tape on them at the mo but it keeps slipping, so I might have to concede some of the 'look' in favour of the practicality of cork tape. The 20c tyres seem to be holding up remarkably well but I think it's time to screw something together for the winter with mudguards and fatter tyres for the wet roads. That Raleigh Equipe frame hanging on my shed wall, for example...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:01 am 
Old School Hero

Rate it or hate it?

(FWIW the downtube shifter clamp is rusted on and I can't quite pluck up the courage to hacksaw the bolt off).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:33 pm 
Retro Guru

Kinda 'rate it' :D

I'm not being LFGSS because I'm not that fussy, but I'm never sure of ergo bars on older frames!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:46 pm 
Retro Guru

I've decided to have a wheel audit and scheduled rebuild as they've started breeding in the shed and I'm running out of space. Phase 1 - Blue is to build the two early-aero Rigida rims in the pic into a fixed gear wheelset. You will see some components in Figure 1, thus:

Two Rigida 36H bullet-section alloy rims, circa late 80's. 72 off 292mm stainless double-butted spokes, bought in error, 4mm too long. One early Shimano high flange quick release front hub, which highlighted that my spoke calculation was incorrect. One unicycle bottom bracket and cranks - fitted the Rigida rims and that length spoke. And the new parts: 1 pair high flange double-fixed ******** track hubs; 72 off 288mm stainless double-butted. These wheels will be summer use only, based on sheer irreplaceability of the rims.

Gratuitous shot of double-fixed rear hub. No need for this freewheeling malarky - it's just for girls:

Phase 2 - Red is to build up the unicycle wheel back up with a very early alloy clincher rim I've got in the shed. It pretty much resembles a sprint rim with the middle cut out of it and goes back to the early days of clinchers before they realised it needed a bead on the rim fore the tyre to clinch onto. Scary stuff on a bike when the tyre peeled off, and they did, but it'll look great on the unicycle.

Phase 3 - Green, well I haven't got that far yet, but I have got a winter frame that needs wheels and a spectacularly rare 40h rear track hub in my box o' bits. If I can find a 40h alloy 27x1-1/4" rim then it'll basically give me an excuse to bin most of my collection of frames in favour of something old enough to take the old wheels and another long hunt for that elusive 32h 27x1-1/4" rim for the front.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 45  Next