Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 45  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:45 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Jonny69 wrote:
Whereabouts do you mean about the fake bolts? The ones around the chainring or the ones that hold on the cranks?

The ones on the chainring itself.
They have holes on the back side of them but they are real grubby, so I cant see a thread, and the bolts look like they may be just for show and the smaller cog just welded inplace.

I may have to replace it with something a bit more modern, no biggy but I will store the original in my banana box o bits.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:07 am 

Boscarn wrote:
A couple of post ago, I listed my daughters single speed Raleigh and asked if anybody could help identify the frame. I have been investigating and from the shape of the lugs, Cinelli bottom bracket, campag dropouts and brazed on fittings, she appears to be a Raleigh Record Ace Moderne or a type 8901 frame from the same era, made with Reynolds 653 tubing. The headache is: I have the details from the 1989 catalogue but the frame Serial no is WM8000475, which indicates that frame made in Worksop in Sept 19_8.
Any further help would be appreciated.

Very nice looking classic, a beauty :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:17 am 

Hi,

I working on my 61cm Batavus Sprint.
My new commute:

Frame: 61cm Batavus Sprint 1972
Fork: steel
Rims: rodi airline evo 3
Hubs: quanta flip/flop china brand with blb 16t
BB: UN25
Crank: blb pista vera 48t
Headset: standard intercycle
Chain: Azian brand
Front brake: standard
Tires: Kenda classic 700x28c
Pedals: blb
Toe Clips:blb
Seatpost:
Saddle: Sanmarco rolls

Last edited by vondel on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 am 
Retro Guru

Zapster wrote:
Thanks for the info, that's plenty to get me off and running!

As I said I dont know too much about bike rebuilding, but I cut my teeth in engineering so I am fine with getting stuck in and learning as I go.

I also know it's a bad idea to just buy something because of the colour, but these puppies look ace to my untrained eyes.

WANHUA PRO Racing Tyre in Yellow Colour
Rim: No Logo 700c 40mm Deep Section Alloy Light Weight Yellow Rim with Double Wall Design for Longer Life
Spoke: 32 Spokes in White Colour
Hub: QUANDO Flip-Flop Sealed Bearing Hub in Red Colour
Free Wheel: 18 Teeth Free Wheel
Fixed Wheel: 18 Teeth Fixed Wheel

Please tell me they are ideal?

Oh and the bike will be used to get me to work and back on a fairly hilly route, but I'm quite fit and currently commute on a hybrid so the fitness aspect is ok. I think I will play around with the gearing so that the uphill is a little harder than I would like (masochist), making the flat sections nice and fast and the downhill manageable (dont want to spin my legs off), So I will start with your recommendation and work from there :)

If you want light and fast, don't buy those wheels (I realise I might be a bit late to the party on that one, but just wanted to add my tupenneth).

They are tough as old boots, but that toughness comes at a cost, WEIGHT! I have a set of them, in brown, that I used for a winter's commute the year before last. They are cheap and tough (as I have said), but the wheels on their own weighed more than the rest of the bike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Well I've upped the distances a bit on my new commute. 10.2 miles each way instead of 4 and I was doing it on my geared bike. I switched to the Bob Jackson this week because the other bike needs some maintenance and on what feels like the same effort takes 5 minutes less to get to work! Fixed gear for the win!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:18 pm 
Dirt Disciple

tiermat wrote:
If you want light and fast, don't buy those wheels (I realise I might be a bit late to the party on that one, but just wanted to add my tupenneth).

They are tough as old boots, but that toughness comes at a cost, WEIGHT! I have a set of them, in brown, that I used for a winter's commute the year before last. They are cheap and tough (as I have said), but the wheels on their own weighed more than the rest of the bike!

I took your advice and went for some DP18 on Miche Hubs

Now this BB lark, I'm new to this, and I am going to need to replace it. What am I looking for exactly? Also will need a crank/chainset to match, budget £75.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Can't fault the Andel ones from CycleBasket: http://www.cyclebasket.com/m9b0s336p244 ... _Chainset_

If you're using a standard track hub with a 42mm / 43mm chain line then you need a 110mm wide bottom bracket. Two are listed on that link that will fit. I think I used a Tange LN 3922 because of the metal cups on both sides.

My only comment is it's a very narrow chainset. It's great for on the track (extremely low Q) but your knees will feel it if you ride it every day and have big gearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 am 
Old School Hero

Can anybody tell me what sort of race bike has track ends but, also runs front and rear brakes?
I have an old lightweight, lugged steel, low-pro with 120mm spacing of unknown make but, I just can't classify it

I need to know and Goober isn't being very helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:37 am 
Dirt Disciple

Finshed (for now).

Weinmann DP18 on Miche Hubs
Generic Alloy Crank with steel Chainring
Shimano sealed BB
Modolo Speedy Brakes
Selle San Marco Saddle
Generic Alloy Seatpost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Here is my latest fixed-wheel project. Spec will be something along the lines of:

Olmo Oria tc 0.8 Frame

Bianchi full carbon forks

Mavic Open Pro rear wheel with Suzue fixed Hub (14T)

Campagnolo BB & Veloce Crank with unbranded Chainring (48T)

Richey Scuzzy Logic Headset

Front wheel, probably an Alex 700C until I find something a bit better looking

Shimano 105 Front brake

Attachments:
$(KGrHqN,!h0FBI9ToPqkBQe,0nsFMg~~60_3.jpeg
$(KGrHqN,!h0FBI9ToPqkBQe,0nsFMg~~60_3.jpeg [ 15.38 KiB | Viewed 1004 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 45  Next