753 authenticity & silver brasing ?

Lazarus

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi everyone :) "Could really do with some help re: authenticating a supposed 753r frame and 753r forks."

I bought a frame a few months back that was supposedly 753r. It was badged up as such, but the forks got me wondering when it arrived.

They where re-sprayed and peeling because there was no undercoat ? I cleaned all the paint off and the brasing colour is yellow (brass).

Main question is "Is silver brasing also yellow, but with a very high content of silver OR is it as I suspect white/silver in colour ?" I have never seen 753 brasing, so sorry if this is a no brainer :)

This frame has a Cinelli aero BB shell and columbus dropouts ? The lugs appear to be Raleigh (long & pointy). Sloping crown on the forks. NO maker marks at all, anywhere,not even on the fork tube. The seller didn't like being questioned about any of this, eventhough he professed to be a 753 rider and owner of many 753's. (always thought 753's where stamped & catalogued because of the expertise involved in the making ?)

(swore he knew his stuff & I'm no-one to question his integrity)

It appears to have the original GB sticker on the headtube, but the rest of the stickers are cheap tat, slap ons. (black plastic Geoffrey Butler name cutouts) The 753r sticker are external stick on's, not water labels. Any pointers please would be greatly appreciated :)

Its a lovely frame, extremely light, but I can't move on with it until I know if it is definately 753r OR not / other. Just an old stuck in the mud who dislikes wrongly badged frames. The onus is on me to get it correctly identified before re-spray & badged back up.

Thank you, yours Laz (new here)

Back