Gios Torino Super Record Project

pol

Dirt Disciple
Finally finished a little project i've been working on.

I bought this frame on ebay having never heard of Gios. I was looking for something in my size for a fixed gear conversion.

The paint was a bit of a mess, the decals looked odd it was missing the original forks. It also has a different cable guide on the top tube. It could be a modification, it could be original. Anyway, it was a nice, light, Gios frame, in need of some work.

Attempts to track down an original replacement fork failed as they were either way too expensive, or in a sorry state!

I put it in a cupboard for a few months and made a new years resolution to spend less money on bikes.... Which didn't work.

Found some new Gios forks, built up some Open Pro's to Ambrosio hubs (half radial rear) and bought some 2011 Veloce bits (my fist time buying Campagnolo!). It's to be used as my only geared road bike so I wanted it to work well. I know it perhaps should have original Super Record parts fitted, but I wanted the reliability of modern parts, and also a 165mm chainset (which campag don't do). Also, the modern Gios forks were the first step towards a modern conversion.

It rides nice. Took it on my first Fnrttc to Brighton for a little test run!

Paul

Attachments

• DSC04782.JPG
    DSC04782.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,254
  • DSC04783.JPG
    DSC04783.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 3,254
  • DSC04788.JPG
    DSC04788.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 3,254
Some more.

Attachments

• IMG_3880.JPG
    IMG_3880.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,253
  • IMG_3885.JPG
    IMG_3885.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 3,253
  • IMG_4282.JPG
    IMG_4282.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 3,254
  • IMG_4285.JPG
    IMG_4285.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 3,253
And...

Attachments

• IMG_4288.JPG
    IMG_4288.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,252
  • IMG_4326.JPG
    IMG_4326.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,252
  • IMG_4327.JPG
    IMG_4327.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 3,252
  • IMG_4328.JPG
    IMG_4328.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 3,252
I saw the words SS conversion and feared the worst! I was glad to be proved wrong! You've done an excellent job on that. Well done and welcome to the site.

Nice bike - I bet it handles really sweet too. If you can find a Gios Aero fork for an Aerodynamic I'll quite happily swap you my Super Record fork complete with coins in the crown.

I too started to worry at the mention of a Gios and fixed gear! huge relief to quickly scroll down and see a rear mech.
Well done, I like the look that you've creatde, nothing wrong with new components on a refinished frame, if it means you get a reliable bike that's good to ride, then I agree with that.
I'm lucky to never really throw any bike bits away so still have some Super Record to go back on a Team Raleigh frame that I'm about to rebuild, but have a mix of ultegra and dura ace on my every day retro 753 frame.

Thanks for the nice comments. Glad others agree.

Nice bike - I bet it handles really sweet too. If you can find a Gios Aero fork for an Aerodynamic I'll quite happily swap you my Super Record fork complete with coins in the crown.
Cheers, i'll keep an eye out! I was ideally looking for the Chrome, flat crown fork with the engraved 'Gt'. I think that's what should belong here and the coin in crown ones on the slightly newer ones. Could be wrong and do love those coin in crown forks too!

The handling took me a while to get used to actually. I think the headset was adjusted badly initially. Fixed now.

That's beautiful, are you running a free wheel or a cassette? Was it difficult to convert?

Cheers - It's a 9 speed cassette. New Campag hubs are pretty much non-existent (for my price range anyway), so I went with Ambrosio Zeniths, after hearing some fairly decent reviews. Nice and shiny too. I laced the rear wheel half radial on the non drive side also, which i'd been meaning to try for a while as it seemed to have small practical benefits and looked good too! I found it easier to build a rear wheel this way.

Everything was straight forward enough. Even the Campagnolo cable set came with a little cable end for the Campag gear cable braze-on on the chainstay.

Paint is actually powder coat by the way. It has been lacquered over the top. I originally wanted stove but Keep in Uckfield didn't have a suitable colour. They told me they could get the gloss I was after with powder + lacquer. I knew the Ral code that I liked (5002) and was asking them to match a stove paint to a ral code which could have been difficult. The colour is good I think. The seat tube decal I think is too long for this size frame, which meant I had to clamp the derailleur over it. This has already marked the decal and lacquer.

Paul

Back