Changing to Horizontal bars/gears & brakes

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I've an elderly Carlton Pro Am, which would form the basis of an excellent bike for my eldest lad. Thing is, he has an aversion to drop handlebars and downtube changers.

What I'd like to know is, where can I find a kit to change the downtube shifters ? I'd be changing to 'horizontal' bars and I'm not sure which type of gear changers would be most suitable/possible ? He likes 'grip shifters' & 'thumb shifters' on the mountain bikes that we own - would it be feasible to transfer these over ?
Would it even be possible to use bars, brakes and changers (the whole lot) from an old mountain bike ? (I have a quill - AHEAD convertor)

Has anyone done such a conversion ? Are there any pitfalls of which I need to be aware ?

Thank you for any suggestions.

lastpubrunner":2wa2qe2p said:
Hi All,

I've an elderly Carlton Pro Am, which would form the basis of an excellent bike for my eldest lad. Thing is, he has an aversion to drop handlebars and downtube changers.

What I'd like to know is, where can I find a kit to change the downtube shifters ? I'd be changing to 'horizontal' bars and I'm not sure which type of gear changers would be most suitable/possible ? He likes 'grip shifters' & 'thumb shifters' on the mountain bikes that we own - would it be feasible to transfer these over ?
Would it even be possible to use bars, brakes and changers (the whole lot) from an old mountain bike ? (I have a quill - AHEAD convertor)

Has anyone done such a conversion ? Are there any pitfalls of which I need to be aware ?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Make sure, obviously, that the shifters are compatible with the gear system you intend to use - assuming you're after indexed gears (thumb shifters are available in a non-index flavour but the same isn't, as far as I know, true of grip shifters).

Main thing to be wary of - the brake levers really need to be for older cantilever-type brakes (or of course calipers, as per some BMX levers) to work well. More modern V-brake levers are configured in a different way and won't work too well with caliper brakes.

Oh, and you'll need some sort of down tube cable stops (with or without tension adjusters) placed where the gear levers used to be.

David

Back