Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:31 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi All,

I've an elderly Carlton Pro Am, which would form the basis of an excellent bike for my eldest lad. Thing is, he has an aversion to drop handlebars and downtube changers.

What I'd like to know is, where can I find a kit to change the downtube shifters ? I'd be changing to 'horizontal' bars and I'm not sure which type of gear changers would be most suitable/possible ? He likes 'grip shifters' & 'thumb shifters' on the mountain bikes that we own - would it be feasible to transfer these over ?
Would it even be possible to use bars, brakes and changers (the whole lot) from an old mountain bike ? (I have a quill - AHEAD convertor)

Has anyone done such a conversion ? Are there any pitfalls of which I need to be aware ?

Thank you for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
lastpubrunner wrote:
Hi All,

I've an elderly Carlton Pro Am, which would form the basis of an excellent bike for my eldest lad. Thing is, he has an aversion to drop handlebars and downtube changers.

What I'd like to know is, where can I find a kit to change the downtube shifters ? I'd be changing to 'horizontal' bars and I'm not sure which type of gear changers would be most suitable/possible ? He likes 'grip shifters' & 'thumb shifters' on the mountain bikes that we own - would it be feasible to transfer these over ?
Would it even be possible to use bars, brakes and changers (the whole lot) from an old mountain bike ? (I have a quill - AHEAD convertor)

Has anyone done such a conversion ? Are there any pitfalls of which I need to be aware ?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Make sure, obviously, that the shifters are compatible with the gear system you intend to use - assuming you're after indexed gears (thumb shifters are available in a non-index flavour but the same isn't, as far as I know, true of grip shifters).

Main thing to be wary of - the brake levers really need to be for older cantilever-type brakes (or of course calipers, as per some BMX levers) to work well. More modern V-brake levers are configured in a different way and won't work too well with caliper brakes.

Oh, and you'll need some sort of down tube cable stops (with or without tension adjusters) placed where the gear levers used to be.

David