There's something in my toptube...

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
and I don't know how to get it out! I have a lugged 653 frame. The TT is sealed at both ends, there's no way for anything to get in or out. I guess whatever it is will be some flux from the original brazing that has come loose (I don't think it could be anything else, or could it?)
Is there any way to get it out? I've been told it's not possible, but I'm thinking of drilling a very small hole through the inside of the seattube into the TT, shaking whatever it is out, then sealing the hole either with some solder or a bit of silicon. Does this sound like a reasonable idea, or is there a compelling reason not to do it? Anyone already done it?
Thanks!

Isn't there even a tiny hole you could spray for example rust prevention oils through? In that case you could do that and maybe the particle will stick instead of making noise all the time. You notice it riding?

So you drill a hole into the toptube via the headtube, and some more swarf gets in from drilling...even more bits on the top tube.

I'd worry about something else* and leave well alone.

*What happens to all the cats where the holes in their fur doesn't match up with their eyes? for example.

:LOL:

There are no holes into the TT, not even a tiny vent hole to spray something through. Maybe drilling will leave some swarf, but then that will fall out the hole with everything else... My idea is to drill a small hole, shake everything out, spray some rust prevention in there and then seal the hole.

I can hear it when riding, and even just knowning it's there bugs me a bit.

Still no reasons not to do it?

It is! thinking about it, drilling in from the ST will be difficult, as I won't be drilling perpendicular to the surface. And toptubes with internal brake cables have larger holes in them than what I'm planning (although usually they are reinforced). So I'm thinking just a small hole straight into the TT, as close to one end as possible to go through the thickest section of tube as I can (653 is triple (double?) butted I think). Shake out whatever is in there, spray in some rust inhibitor just in case, then fill the hole and sand it down. The frame is going to be resprayed anyway.

I say go in from the head tube if possible. You've got a bit more space to work with than in the seat tube, and you don't risk burring your seatpost in the future. The hole can be left open. See if you can borrow a Dremel with a 90 degree head attachment.

A lot of frames have holes in the head tube into the top and down tubes anyway, so I wouldn't feel too worried about adding one.

What concerns me more is the problems of doing it (getting a drill into place, and you'll need a big hole to get anything out...10mm diameter perhaps?)

I think the main problems of doing it from the HT or ST is getting the drill in there to do it, drilling at an angle, and not damaging anything else. The framebuilder that I'll be going to for the respray has already told me that getting whatever it is out of the TT can't be done. But it has occurred to me that at the moment I have three brake cable guides under the TT. If I substitute them for an internal (hidden) rear brake cable then that means making holes in the TT, which means they'll be able to get the tinkly stuff out while they do it. I need to check that they can add an internal brake cable to a fully built frame, but it's in their frame repair pricelist so I guess they can. I'll just have to hope they don't replace the current tinkly bits with new tinkly bits when they do it!

I say we take off and nuke the frame from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

or...fill the TT with builders expanding foam it wont get the blighter out but it will stop rattling....

:shock:

Back