Anyone any experiences of the V-CC ?

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All, Since I've a few older bikes, a few years ago I decided to join the Veteran Cycle Club (V-CC). (Actually, it should be noted bikes built before 1990 qualify as 'veterans, so it isn't just about high-wheel bikes).

At the time of joining, I decided to sell a bike that I owned which was totally original in every aspect (c.1957). I sold it (NOT via Ebay) but to a fellow member ('Arfur') of the V-CC. He told me that it was very rare to come across a bike in such original condition. He pleaded poverty and stated that he 'really wanted the bike' and wondered if I could make it a bit more 'affordable'.

I actually thought that he was 'short' of money. He chiselled me down in price and in a fit of generosity, thinking that I was doing a fellow member of the V-CC a 'favour', I sold it to him for a massive £75 (Original asking price was only £100 !!!). He told me that he intended to use it for 'club runs' and stated that his friends would be envious of his new steed in such original condition.

He specifically stated to me that "old bikes should be kept 'original'. I told him that I had considered fitting some modern components and he told me that would 'spoil' the bike. I even told him that I intended to do some club runs myself, and looked forward to seeing the bike again - with hindsight, I feel especially 'daft' at having said that. Just 3 days later, I was irritated to see the frame and parts for sale on Ebay. Obviously, he was quite entitled to do so, but I was annoyed that despite him exalting the virtues of 'originality', the profit motive was higher in his list of priorities.

The 'original' fittings were worth more broken up and he ended up selling frame and bits for about £170. So he pulled an entirely original bike apart for the sake of £95 - and he is a member of a cycling club which seeks to promote interest in, and the preservation of, old bicycles ?? Of course, some members will extol the virtues of originality, if it means that they can acquire cheap bikes and sell the parts for a profit to other members.

In the V-CC magazine, a few (usually older) members have commented on how they've (under) sold a bike to a fellow member, only to see it on Ebay a few days later. Yet those who cause the greatest embarrassment to the V-CC are those who mention the subject, not the profiteers.

Thing is, 'Arfur' is a very high profile & respected member of the V-CC and one of the leading members of the (Hereford) branch which is closest to where I live.

I recently contacted another member of the local branch regarding a forthcoming run; he gave me the details and mentioned that 'Arfur' organised a few club runs. I mentioned that I'd already met 'Arfur' and told him of my dealings with him. I stated that I considered it to be all 'water under the bridge' and that I'd be perfectly civil to 'Arfur' if I happened to meet him again.

However, this outspoken slighting of 'Arfur' has caused the other member to feel offended, since they are big mates. Funnily enough, I've been told (privately) by two other V-CC members, that 'Arfur' is well known for his dealings, but he usually doesn't 'cheat' fellow members of the V-CC.

Having the temerity to bring the issue of 'Arfur's' dealings to the surface, has led me to become persona non grata with some members of the local section of the V-CC.

Despite having contacted the other fellow about the forthcoming run, he hasn't responded to my emails.

Have any Retrobikers had experience of the V-CC ?

Furthermore, do I go on the local V-CC run this Sunday ?

V-CC rides

I am sorry to hear of your experience with your local section or rather part of it. Please give it a second chance. As to selling anything to anyone I've found it is best to set a price that I'm happy with, being aware that passing on ownership also passes on the right to sell on. There isn't a local section of V-CC near to me although I am a member and have been to rides of several sections. Always had a welcome.

Hi, I'm a member of the VCC and find most sections and members, honest, friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. As with any group of people, standards of integrity vary ( mainly high within this group ), but you shouldn't judge the whole organisation on a bad experience. I can't suggest a solution, except try to put it behind you, go Sunday and treat him with the dis-stain he deserves or try some of the other section runs within the VCC.

I have no experience of the V-CC so don't need to comment on that, but what a snake to do such a thing!

I think it says alot about you as a person that you are even considering riding with this chap (or near him), but obviously you don't want to miss out on the vintage riding fun!

I say go for the ride and enjoy it and if anyone mentions the issue to you then make sure they know exactly what happened, if he and the other mate give you attitude then they don't deserve your time.

MercianMike":3n9pzdq1 said:
I say go for the ride and enjoy it and if anyone mentions the issue to you then make sure they know exactly what happened, if he and the other mate give you attitude then they don't deserve your time.

Cheers for all the messages, fellas.

I was beginning to think that I had done something wrong.

I'm going to go on Sunday and see how it goes.

Buying and splitting isn't poor form but striking a deal with a lower price with untruths is rum form (I've experienced selling something and having it readvertised before I'd even posted out!) - it's not the money, rather the feeling of having your good nature taken for a ride. And all for a tenner.

Anyway, great effoort in still joining the ride, if I was around on Sunday I'd definitely be tempted too. Please let us know how you get on - perhaps some of the local chaps may be interested in http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149981 ?

ededwards":1ykr5eaf said:
Please let us know how you get on - perhaps some of the local chaps may be interested in http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149981 ?

I'm not actually local - I live in NW Shropshire, right on the border, by Offa's Dyke.

Sadly, I can't do your ride, I'm away on 18th July and not back till 1st August :( :( :( .

If you ever organise any similar events outside those dates, I'd deffo be up for them !

Mind you, none of my bikes are as smart as those used last year !

ededwards":14q2s7fc said:
Buying and splitting isn't poor form

In many cases, I'd agree with you; but the frame (I know for certain) went on to become a 'fixie'. I believe that it deserved a better fate.

I took the liberty of saving 'Arfur's' own Ebay description of the bike . . .

"Top of the range frameset dating early 1960's. This was made by renowned frame builder Les Ephgrave and it bears many of Ephgrave's hallmarks, rear brake bridge and finely thinned hand cut lugs"

Hardly a 'run of the mill' bike.

I bet that there are a few on here, that would have paid more than the £100 that I was asking (for the entire bike'.

Back