Bianchi - Friction deraillier change

willbowden

Dirt Disciple
I've mentioned my shifting problem before on here :roll: I've been doing some playing about and the problem seems to be the spring in the rear deraillier is a bit half-hearted. A quick look in the net has thrown up that its not uncommon on these Simplex changers. The problem is it won't stay in the lowest gear which is a problem and half living on Exmoor! My temporary fix yesterday was to adjust the cable so it holds it in gear but that means I'm running it as a single speeder :cry:

So I'm thinking the quickest keep it running fix is to change the deraillier for a Campagnolo one of some sort. The changers are friction shift so what would you knowledgable folk recommend I look out for? Will any later deraillier work with friction levers OK?

Will :)

5725601021_124bce6489_b.jpg

If the chain won't stay on the largest sprocket, it's probably because the lever is slipping, try tightening lever mounting screw.

yep, tried that, its not 'avin' it. :LOL:

The levers default position seems to be mid point. just pootling along it will just about stay in the lowest gear but out of the saddle 3rd cog down is where it goes unless you ride one handed and hold the lever :shock: Ever tried that? Its funny to watch someone try :LOL:

Its happy enough to stay in the higher gears.

Maybe the levers need some attention :? Roughen up the friction surfaces maybe? :(

Will :cool:

I don't think the lever should have a default position, if you mean it clicks or settles into one position. It should have a smooth continuous movement.

I would take it apart, clean and reassemble.

no clicking just a lack of friction I'd say, it just doesn't want to stay in the lowest gear position it naturally drifts back to 3rd cog when under load.

I'll pull it apart and have a look later to see if I can induce a bit more friction.

I thought maybe it was the lack of tension on the rear deraillier that was causing it to jump down a gear or two???

willbowden":2gohvs7x said:

I thought maybe it was the lack of tension on the rear deraillier that was causing it to jump down a gear or two???

Exactly the opposite I would have thought. The spring should work to push the mech back towards the small sprockets not the other way round. Unless, of course, it is a Shimano 'bottom normal' mech which I presume it isn't. The lever should have sufficient friction to hold in any of the gears. Take it apart and give it a good clean - and check that you have all the bits in there! You should be able to tighten the adjusting/retention screw sufficiently to not be able to move the lever at all. Perhaps the friction washers are well worn.

Exactly, a strong spring would result in a higher force moving the chain to the smaller sprocket, and the lever would need to be tighter to hold it's position and hold back the spring.

Assuming the "normal" type which goes to the smallest sprocket without the cable attached.

Back