Advice pls, Want to buy a cheap Road bike for upgrading, con

evozero

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,
Being a newbie, I am getting really confused with all the jargon, incompatibility of parts etc.
Currently I'm tooling about on a heavy MTB with road tyres, horrible.
I’m looking for a nice ride for town and days out at the weekend, so geared?
I only have £80-£100 to spend and it needs to be running for this price.
I am thinking an old 531 frame would be a good starting point, as I remember them being good back in my youth.
Then upgrade to newer running gear as things break or funds allow, and learn how to fix & maintain as I go?
I see lots of old Peugeot bikes, but not sure regarding incompatibility issues, so should I stick with older Ralieigh as upgrading down the line would be easier or cheaper?
I like the look of both makes.
Basically, what make and models would you suggest I start out with?
Any bargain sleepers to look out for

If you know of something that fits the bill, please let me know.
I have read that Frame size 23 inch – would be ideal for someone between 5ft 8” to 6ft 2”
23” =59 cm
I am 5ft 10”.

Many Thanks
Ian

Ive done the same as you want to do.

Bought a Peugeot Premiere for £50 then scrapped my 3 mtb's.

Its great!

I recommend getting a peugeot, so keep an eye out on ebay and gumtree because there are some cheap ones on there.

Good luck! Or there is a guy selling a mint Peugeot Premiere here for just over £100.

thanks flyboyovyick,
I have emailed one for sale, was it the 24.5" one for sale?
I was in a bike shop and they suggested a 59cm would suit.
Will that 24.5 be too big for me?
Thanks
Ian

I think a 57 would be a better fit - or 22.5" in old money.

You're likely to need to upgrade in chunks - if a working 6 or 7 speed system suffers a failure, you can't mix and match old and new and have it work well. At that point you'll have to bite the bullet and possibly buy wheels, chainset, cassette, chain, mechs and shifters.

8 speed is a good starting point - the wheels will take 8/9/10 and a modern mech will be backwards compatible. Plenty of reasonable used stuff on eBay for 8 speed.

There's no particular issue with Peugeot or Raleigh compatibility unless you buy something really old. Late 80's onwards should be fine. You'll need to cold set the rear triangle (bend it) to fit wider hubs if it's a 6 or 7 speed frame but other than that, no issue. You'll quite likely need long drop brakes if you fit modern wheels - but these are easily available.

Thanks Terry,
Very helpful.
Do you know of any buying guides / model info for these vintage bikes?
Dont know why, but i have latched onto the 531c fame??
Cheers
Ian

Check the frame for cracks, dents and other damage. If you can feel a bulge or ripple under the top tube just behind the head tube it's had a hefty front smash. If you flick the tubes with your finger they should 'ting'.

531 bikes are popular with singlespeed hipsters so the prices are a bit daft at the moment. You could end up paying more than you would for a brand new aluminium frame and forks from Ribble.

If you're commuting look for eyelets on the dropouts and forks for a rack and/or mudguards.

Where abouts are you based?

I have an old raleigh sirocco which I would let go, but it is in Glasgow.

ksvb5368":11tmmlt7 said:
Where abouts are you based?

I have an old raleigh sirocco which I would let go, but it is in Glasgow.
I am based in London, Would you consider shipping?
Cheers
Ian

Sorry no can do.

Im actually working in Germany at the moment and its at my mums house. She's been moaning at me to get rid of it for ages, so would def need picked up.

Would have let you have it for free, but you'd have probably used your 100 up with a good service. Nothing better than restoring a nice old bike though!

evozero":3intjphg said:
Thanks Terry,
Very helpful.
Do you know of any buying guides / model info for these vintage bikes?
Dont know why, but i have latched onto the 531c fame??
Cheers
Ian

As Terry said, a good 2nd hand 531 frame will go for silly money these days (mine set me back about £105 with the P&P) but built well will offer a great ride and should last you some time to come. Raleighs are worth looking out for on eBay etc., back in the day their top-end products seemed to be on the pointy end of bicycle snobbery but ignore that; they are very good frames indeed. If you want 531c but with guard and rack capability, the Dawes Audax Giro is worth keeping an eye out for but is of slightly more recent vintage (late 90s - mid Noughties) and will be priced accordingly.

David

Back