Cassette tool for maillard hub help please

chris86

Old School Hero
I have a raleigh winner wheel from the 80s i think with a maillard hub and i cant get a cassette tool anywhere or find a shop with one.I want to remove the cassette to use the wheel on a cheap single speed im building so at the moment im pretty stuck
HELP!

Take it to a decent shop and ask them to remove it. Most shops with a decent workshop will have a load of freewheel removers dating back - just make sure they know that it is a freewheel and not a cassette

I did ''adjust'' a suntour removal tool for this purpose. I had the japanese one file a little bit. But it works now for Maillard, but no more for Suntour. It is the one or the other.

Iv been to a good few shops, maybe ill get abit angry with a hammer and small chisel and see if it will tap round.

If you don't want the freewheel any more unscrew the inner cover.It is a left hand thread.Usually two small holes to tap with a punch/nail/friends screwdriver.Once loose it should turn by hand.Remove bearings and sprocket lump.Find someone with a big vice hold wheel in the vice with the jaws clamping lightly on the pawl slots.Then undo anticlockwise.This is what we do in the work shop if we haven't got a tool.We do have all freewheel tools at the moment so come on down.Are you near Penzance !!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is a Maillard Course/Sprint type of freewheel then a normal Regina 2-dog remover fits. If you have the Helicomatic then you can get the retainer ring off with mole grips. But you'll be stuffed anyway as only a Helicomatic cassette will fit the wierd splines, there's no chance of using it for a single speed.

Can you post a pic of the freewheel? There are different types of Maillard wheel and reading what you wrote again it may not even be a Maillard freewheel since you mention hub. I cannot recall exactly what Raleigh fitted but I am thinking 5 SPF atom

its a maillard cassette aswell, sory for the poor pic i cant find my camera.
hub.jpg

My way isn't as easy on those you have to get the sprockets off first.You will need two chain whips and some effort.The bottom one unscrews and then you can get at the inner ring to undo.If you get stuck and are willing to pay postage both ways I could send a tool.

Latest posts

Back