Indexing with a Campy Nuovo Record

Simon in Easton

Retro Newbie
Hi Folks, I'm new here - I'll bet you know the answer to my question!
I am building up a vintage bike from the '60s, using a sixspeed block and a Campy Nuovo Record rear mech.. Will I get to enjoy indexing if I use it with modern indexing levers? Are there any that work better than others?

In short you won't find any 6 speed indexing systems, so forget it and use non-indexed. It's not difficult.

Fitting ergos to a 60's bike is like putting three-spoke alloys and 40-series tyres on an E-Type in my opinion. :shock:

hamster":1qaauf6e said:
In short you won't find any 6 speed indexing systems,
to be pedantic, there was a shimano one. Still use it on my pubber.
Fitting ergos to a 60's bike is like putting three-spoke alloys and 40-series tyres on an E-Type in my opinion. :shock:
have to agree. you either want modern, slick stuff cos its effortless and works better, or you want to relive the bikes glory years as it was then.

Using down tube gear levers, we used to set the high gear(small cog) with the lever about 30 degrees back, so that you change gear with your hand over the gear lever, not with finger and thumb.

Bugger me! - I just posted that same link on another thread!

You can get C-Record era 6-speed indexing shifters. I happen to have one. I have never tried to use a Nuovo Record rear derailleur with indexing as all the literature states that derailleurs made before indexing was standard had too much slop to work.

When Campag introduced indexing with their "Synchro" shifters in the mid 80s, their intention was to make it backwardly compatible, so that people would not need to go out and buy new cables/derailleurs/cranks, etc. It was a disaster, and they gave up on it. They ended up redesigning all their drivetrain components with higher tolerences than the old stuff, and indexing finally worked with these newer compnents.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand... If a Nuovo Record rear derailleur is going to work with any indexing system it is going to be 6 or 7-speed. The gaps between the sprockets is widest for these old screw-on systems at a whopping 5.5 mm. I would suggest getting hold of later model Synchro 2 shifters, which are the ones with the larger barrel for the rear derailleur. Also, you will need to find a 6-speed notched insert, which matches your freewheel.

Avoid these Synchro ones:
DSC_9185.JPG

Get these Synchro 2 ones:
DSC_8782.JPG

Here is a lis of all the inserts. Somewhere I have a guide which matches the colours with the various freewheel manufacturers. I'll see if I can find it...

Found it here.

It's not simple, and there is no mention of backward compatibility with Nuovo Record derailleurs. I guess it will be a case of "suck it an see"...

Back