New member with Carlton supercourse

SaintSalford

Retro Newbie
Hi guys. I'm a new member looking for some information for my bike. I have picked up a Carlton Supercourse from a customer of mine (it was in quite a sorry state in the corner of her garden). When i asked her about it she said i could take as it was her late husbands.

The frame is looking really rough but still solid and straight with no dents or dings, it has Suntour cyclone gears which are in very good condition and Weinmann 605 brakeset also in decent nick. Chainset is SR with drilled chainrings.

The frame number is WS0002683, can anyone date this for me.

I have already started to strip and clean everything and although the paintwork is tatty everything else looks reasonably looked after and well greased and has strip down really easily. The frame will be sent for respray and hopefully new decals if i can source them.

Pics to follow when i have made 2 posts

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

Always room for more Carltons on here.

A later Carlton late 1970s-early 1980s. Well worth bringing back to parade standard.

Thats what i aim to do. I'm going to have it resprayed in pearlescent white and am trying to source some new decals but i'm struggling to find the down tube decal, ive found plenty carlton on HC Lloyd. the parts have cleaned up really well and ive managed to rub out some scuff marks.

Any more ideas on date

Not sure where it stands in the hierarchy but it is a 531 frame so it must be up there?
Just needs a respray and a service, maybe change the saddle for a brooks and you'll have one mega bike!

Very similar to the Pro Am 12.

Both had 531 frames. Over not bad bikes, a little bland in my own view. If compared to the earlier Carltons then these are acceptable, but by then they were just badge engineered Raleighs.

Just noted one of these on ebay, bidding at 20 quid with less than 24 hours to run. Any idea what vintage they are, are they re-branded Raleighs ?

Having had a gander at this http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/dating.htm guide to dating Carltons, I'd take a stab at December 1980 - and therefore, a Worksop built bike, rather than one of the 'W' coded bikes built in Nottingham after Worksop closed - but I'll happily stand corrected!

Lovely bike btw - I like the pearlescent white paint job and the Suntour drive train. Keep those pictures coming :D

Back