My mid fifties Claud Butler, date?

Fixedwheelnut

Retro Newbie
Well it's been a while, I aquired this frame with no forks four years ago, I was trying to find period parts but got fed up waiting and just built it anyway or it would have just sat there pining for the road.

The frame is 531 steel number
If anyone could put a more accurate date on it I would appreciate it.
Fred Elliot at Welling cycles who used to work for Holdsworth is pretty sure it was built before the Holdsworth takeover
Cheers Steve

Spec:
Claud Butler 531 lugless steel frame [mid fifties]
Miche cranks, [to be changed]
Normandy Hubs on Mavic Record du Monde de l'Heure sprint rims with tubs,
Brooks Swift saddle,
Nitto B123 steel bars and Nitto Pearl stem,
Campagnolo brake levers,
and a Hi-Gear brake because it was the only one in the shed with enough drop :) [to be changed]

Like it. Nice to see proper brake levers too. Once that Miche is swapped for something more in keeping it will be top.

Mark.

Cheers Mark
It rides well 45 miles yesterday only downside was a puncture at 40 miles so used the spare tub already.

I'll start searching the classifieds for a period chainset.

My understanding is that the way the serial numbers worked pre Holdworth takeover means that your frame could be from October 56.

My 1952 Claud Butler has the serial no. round the other way like this:

Coincidently, I believe Claud Butler went in to receivership in October 1956! So it could be one of the last pre Holdsworth era models.

In case you haven't seen this website, It has lots of better information on Claud Butler and Holdsworth than I can ever give... http://www.nkilgariff.com/

Cheesedisease":i0kcu2ow said:
My understanding is that the way the serial numbers worked pre Holdworth takeover means that your frame could be from October 56.

My 1952 Claud Butler has the serial no. round the other way like this:

Coincidently, I believe Claud Butler went in to receivership in October 1956! So it could be one of the last pre Holdsworth era models.

In case you haven't seen this website, It has lots of better information on Claud Butler and Holdsworth than I can ever give... http://www.nkilgariff.com/

Thanks Cheese
That makes sense now.

I have used Nik's site for dating/naming my Holdsworth bikes before, it's a shame he does not put the frame number info on there but I guess he has his reasons.
Cheers
Steve

hi there, I am having a bit of trouble dating a Claud Butler.

It is stamped 27717...
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Claud Butler Super Turino ??
Williams C1000 Cranks
Campag Gran Sport Pedals
Campag Nuovo Record Derailleur
Campag Tipi Corsa 61 Breaks and Leavers
GB Tourmalet or Ventoux Bars

There are photos is a gallery here: www [dot] dropbox [dot] com/gallery/4761536/1/bike%20restoration?h=310ac0

** cant post links as I am a new member

Hi, thats a holdsworth serial number placing it mid to late sixties if I remember correctly. Check out the Holdsworth Super Mistral or normal Mistral at http://www.nkilgariff.com/ it's the same bike, the thicker wrapover stay was also used on the Holdsworth Professional for a couple of years. Terry

Thanks for the info, Ill have a look.

So it is not a 'proper' Claud then. The earliest the Super Torino is mentioned is '71. Looks like it has most of the original gear on it as well.

Goldie":wbk7dtto said:
Hello tommyjz,

That's a lovely bike! Classic Lightweights has cracking examples of both the CB Super Torino and Holdsworth Super Mistral on board.

Wow you are not kidding, those are lovely, I almost want to repaint my frame now. The Yellow/Blue are the colors of the old cycle club from the previous owner, my wifes grandfather who ran an independent cycle shop in our village for many years. Im not sure if it is original or not.

Mine is a CB Super for sure. Ill have to see if I can do some more diggin on the exact date. Im thinking 66-72...leaning toward the 60s

Back