Advice Sought on Modern(ish) Campag Chainsets

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
For my 'Buzz' Lo-Pro I have a choice of 2 90's era Campag chainsets as shown in the attached photo. I have looked on Velobase and I think they are either Chorus or possibly Athena? (Or even Record?). Campag stuff around this date I find rather complicated as it is outside my personal experience at the time and I have found that some of the information available tends to be a bit conflicting.

What I need to confirm are the models and the length of BB axle required for each type. Would any of the currently available Campag BB's be suitable? Does anyone have a suitable BB for sale?

Any advice gratefully received!

Attachments

• ModernCampagChainsets.1.A.jpg
    ModernCampagChainsets.1.A.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,464
The one on the right is definitely 1st Gen Chorus (also used on 2nd Gen Athena). The left looks a lot like CDA (or 2nd Gen Chorus) which is very similar to 1st gen Athena.

To summarise CDA on left, 1st Gen Chorus on right.

Both are beautiful.

Quite sure they both used 109mm (or is that 109.5mm?) bb's. A modern sealed unit is compatible.

Don't know...that one on the left could be an Athena (1st gen). CDA & Athena were very similar shape.

I think you were right first time - the one on the left is a 2nd-generation Chorus IMO. I agree with you about the one on the right.

Campag suggest 111mm b/bkt.Thats what I have in both my bikes with 1st gen chorus and 2nd gen C-Record,both Italian threaded.Thats the same size as the latter model triple chainset axle size,handy if you want a more modern sealed unit .

You sure the one on the right is not a Croc D;Aune chainset :?:

The Corsa Record Pista crankset is what would set a proper TT rig off :cool:

No you're definitely not! ;)

The 1st Gen Chorus is one of the most distinctive and easily recognisable chainsets out of the late 80's/ early 90's collection, imo anyway.

Tel":2sppd3in said:
The one on the right is definitely 1st Gen Chorus (also used on 2nd Gen Athena). The left looks a lot like CDA (or 2nd Gen Chorus) which is very similar to 1st gen Athena.

To summarise CDA on left, 1st Gen Chorus on right.

Both are beautiful.

Quite sure they both used 109mm (or is that 109.5mm?) bb's. A modern sealed unit is compatible.

If you can't source an actual Campag one, the Miche Primato unit will do the job. 110mm spindle and the appropriate ISO rather than JIS (Shimano) taper.

David

See, I said it was a conflicting and complicated subject!!

The RH one would appear to need a shorter axle than the LH one as it is 'cranked out' more and therefore the axle end should be nearer to the BB cup?

What a minefield! :?

Back