help please

cobby1970

Geoff Capes
A couple of questions to help me out please

How to remove a seized seatpost ? I can't get it to move at all

And on the chainstays is a bridging bar but it doesn't go all the way across and it doesn't look like its been cut so if not as a strengthener what is its purpose?

Thanks

If people tell you to use WD40 or penetrants they just don't work unless it is steel in steel. Alloy
next to steel causes a chemical reaction, and gives off aluminium oxide. The only way to remove it, was turn the bike upside down
and pour caustic soda into the frame down the seat tube from either the bottom bracket or holes for mounting a water bottle. Caustic
soda crystals are available from anywhere (£1.29 Wilko). It has no effect on steel or paintwork, but fizzes and rots aluminium
viciously. It normally takes 3 or 4 days and the rotten seatpost just drops out.

Hope this helps.

BTW: I didn't write that.

Several methods work,at least to some degree :? Plusgas,cocacola,heat ,sometimes just plain old brute force
What is the frame made of ? what is the seatpost made of ?.

I'd suggest asking the same question in the off topic section in general chat.
Seems a common problem in old mtb's being renovated

Coca cols is an altogether more sweeter less aggressive way of moving the post, it does work too.

Frame is 501 and the seatpost is alloy so i'll have a go with the coca cola method, I've used it inthe past for removing pitting from chrome so can believe that it works, cheers for the answers :cool:

Anyone any clue on the frame?

The bar on the chainstay is probably to clip the bottom end of a mudguard onto. I have a DynaTech MTB with the same type of fitting.

remove seat post

cobby1970":3ca82boo said:
Bloody seatpost ain't shifting :)

this should work, never failed me in 30 years !!!!!

if you are going to repaint the frame then warm the frame around the seat post and down the seat tube with either a hair dryer or a hot air gun but it may start to melt the paint, the steel will expand before the alloy and then spray WD 40 down between them it will smoke to start with but then will seep between them. put an old saddle on to use to force the post round, you might have to do it again and again.

if you do not want to damage the paint, just warm the seat post itself and it will expand and warm the seat post too again fill with WD40/Plusgas.

may take a few attempts.

if its really struck its an oxy/acet job and a respray thats how frame builders get them out...

I'll try the heat method as its going for powder/respray anyway but can't attach a seat for leverage as the clamp for the seat has had the threads stripped and won't hold tight
thanks for the tip ;)

Back