Help needed with Dawes restoration

Neverminday

Retro Newbie
Hello all, my name is Kristan and I live in Brighton. I have just dug my old Dawes bike out of the basement to get him operational again. I bought it brand new in about 1984-5. It has Reynolds 531 tubing and shimano everything else including 105 gears. I just found this site on google and wondered if you can help me with a problem I need to get a new back wheel. I have been to two bike shops and they have told me that they cannot get a wheel that fits the block of six on my bike. They have suggested getting a block of 7 and only using 6 gears which will also include buying a new chain. Or buying a new wheel and removing the spindle and replacing with the original spindle and block? I would prefer to keep the original block but would have to get the wheel re-spoked if it got buckled again in the future. Does anyone have any advice or is there another solution? Thanks in advance for any help.

jCymbal":2fls18jy said:
what's wrong with the original wheel?

Some of the spokes are broken it has a slight buckle which the guy at the shop would be impossible to straighten, he said I would be better of with a new wheel. There are a fair few other bike shops here, I will get another opinion.

Unless the rim is really crimped it should be repairable. Ive taken some pretty way out wheels to my local shop and he always gets them back in true.

Back