Advice on lightweight 'training bike' frames (653 ?)

1988_Ben

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm wanting to replace the modern Aluminium frame on my training bike with a nice steel one, as it's not particularly comfy and a bit small.

I basically want a nice steel racing frameset that has mudguard eyelets and adequate clearance.

I'd be OK with 531, and there are plenty out there to choose from. But I want something a bit more special, and can't seem to find anything in 653 or 753.

Were such frames ever made ?

There was a Reynolds 653 frame with eyes and guard clearance doing the rounds on eBay a little while ago. It was NOS on a Buy It Now listing so not exactly cheap - £300 or so - though (could well have been Paul Milnes in Bradford who were selling it). 753 might be more of a struggle, but they do exist; Reynolds 853 might be a little easier to find as that tubeset came out around the time when Audax-specific "fast touring" frames started to become more popular.

David

Doubt you'll find many 653 or 753 frames with mudguard eyes as these tubesets were usually built into road frames aimed as racing, so mudguard eyes and clearance would have been un-cool amongst other things.

I have seen the odd frame where eyes have been added at some point, but these are rare.

Are Raceblades or similiar not an option?

Thanks for the advice guys.

The problem with me getting raceblades is that it would mean I'd then buy a 'racing' frameset, and I've already got a proper racing bike (my DH Airplane). So I'm sort of wanting something a bit more relaxed, even a touring frameset, but without canti bosses.

I'd thought about getting mudguard eyelets brazed on something else, but I still need the extra clearance.

I guess I should stick with 531 and get something special from a few decades ago...

I'll keep looking anyhow.

you might have some more luck with an 853 frameset as prev mentioned the release of this tubeset coincided with faster audax frames, but expect to pay a higher premium.
An older frame like 531 will still make a great training bike, be carefull though you may begin to prefer the feel of steel. Just make sure you get a complete framset inc forks made in 531c for example rather than just 531 main tubes.

whatsize are you looking at?

I would look at 531C just because there should be planty about. I would not discount a road frame without eyelets as I have for many years got sks guards on with 23c tyres and just zip-tied them onto the stays and and forks. just put some tape around and wrap them twice round. Simples!

there's an 853 frame on the bay at the mo, looks like it has eyes incorporated into the rear drop outs

I should have mentioned, I'm wanting something slightly vintage, i.e. from the 60's/70's. As long as I can flex the stays out to take a 130mm rear hub. I can do this with a 126mm rear stay, but not 120mm, which rules out anything earlier.

I've had 531 before and know I'll like the feel of it, and prefer it, so I'm not worried about that.

My other requirement is for recessed brake caliper mounting bolts, as used on modern brakes. This might be tricky to find and would rule out anything too early.

Which probably means I should look at more recent 853 frames, as already mentioned by you guys. I'll have a gander...

A frame from the 60s/70s will rule out 653 as it was a late 80's offering, while you may get an early 753, it will be 126mm width and it's not advisable to try and splay the rear stays to 130mm on 753.
Therefore 531 will be your friend as it can cope with cold setting the rear stays, or just splay the stays manually as you fit the wheel.

Regarding recessed brakes, again probably lucky on such an old frame, you will have to consider drilling. The forks are easy, but harder and more risky on the rear. A mate of mine couldn't face drilling the rear bridge on his, so sourced another front brake and used a regular nut instead of the allen key fitting.

what size are you after?

Back