Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:31 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 1981 nishiki rally
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 am 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Plymouth uk
1981 giant made nishiki rally
any idea what this is worth please.
i have no pics yet,but is identical to this pic,bar a few scratches and perished tyres

551px-Rally1983.jpg

anyone help??


Attachments:
551px-Rally1983.jpg
551px-Rally1983.jpg [ 73.14 KiB | Viewed 2484 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:17 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:33 am
Posts: 5487
Location: WI, USA
Extreme entry level road bike, Hi-Tensile steel frame with chrome plated steel rims. Probably in the 159-169 dollar retail range when new. I think there was even a year when they imported these from Korea from what I remember of them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:59 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Plymouth uk
thanks for the reply.i sort of new about the bike side of it though

$170 in 1981 would be $490 today.that was a lot.any idea of todays price though!!

cheers :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:27 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:44 pm
Posts: 422
Location: at my computer
I don't believe they were made by Giant but rather by Kawamura in Japan in 1981. They were teh cheapest model in the Nishiki range and did not have any true redeeming features. I would expect them to be worth about the same as an entry level Halford's bike.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:14 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:33 am
Posts: 5487
Location: WI, USA
oldschoolfool wrote:
$170 in 1981 would be $490 today.that was a lot.any idea of todays price though!!


Wrong...totally disagree with you on the assessed increase in value. By 1989 there were still $159 Shimano Tourney road bikes with chrome plated steel wheels. Panasonic Sport 500, Centurion Signet and many others everyone had one If that was a market today there would still be road bikes under 200. It just not a part of the market in IBD bikes maybe mass merchant.
That market today has gone to upright bar 700c wheel bikes and even Schwinn has a model at $220. Bikes have always been a bargain even considering inflation over decades. Where else can you buy something with nearly 2000 individual parts for ~$200.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:28 am 
Newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:08 am
Posts: 4
I don't believe they were made by Giant but rather by Kawamura in Japan in 1981.



__________________
watch online movies


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:29 am 
Newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:08 am
Posts: 4
I don't believe they were made by Giant but rather by Kawamura in Japan in 1981.



__________________
watch online movies


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:47 am 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Plymouth uk
gm1230126 wrote:
oldschoolfool wrote:
$170 in 1981 would be $490 today.that was a lot.any idea of todays price though!!


Wrong...totally disagree with you on the assessed increase in value. By 1989 there were still $159 Shimano Tourney road bikes with chrome plated steel wheels. Panasonic Sport 500, Centurion Signet and many others everyone had one If that was a market today there would still be road bikes under 200. It just not a part of the market in IBD bikes maybe mass merchant.
That market today has gone to upright bar 700c wheel bikes and even Schwinn has a model at $220. Bikes have always been a bargain even considering inflation over decades. Where else can you buy something with nearly 2000 individual parts for ~$200.


no,what i meant was in 1981 $160 was a lot of money,not that the bikes worth that now!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:53 am 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:51 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Plymouth uk
sadmemories20 wrote:
I don't believe they were made by Giant but rather by Kawamura in Japan in 1981.



__________________
watch online movies


definitely Giant made.frame number on one side of the dropout,date made on the other


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:26 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:44 pm
Posts: 422
Location: at my computer
oldschoolfool wrote:
sadmemories20 wrote:
I don't believe they were made by Giant but rather by Kawamura in Japan in 1981.



__________________
watch online movies


definitely Giant made.frame number on one side of the dropout,date made on the other


I suppose it depends on in which market the bikes were sold. I was working in a Canadian bike shop in 1981 and I can guarantee that there was not a single Nishiki Rally that was made in Taiwan. The Taiwanese-made models didn't turn up until 1983 and the drop in quality (especially the BB threads and assembly quality) was such that we substituted anoher brand for them.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group