carlton i.d sorted its a 1970 corsair or truwel

mrlee

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
hi all can you help with this model please as i want to bring it back to the original state it was 40 years ago .
I was given this for free when i sold a local chap my 1975 peugeot touring . He has had it from new hence the year , i didn't show much interest in it at first but on closer inspection it looks worst than it is. i dont think the wheels are salvageable but you nether know its amazing what alloy wheel acid can do ;) the forks are to be stripped and inspected also , as for components its time to get to know the local chromers, brakes , bars , stem are all in reasonable condition. The only reason im going ahead with this is because i fancy a real vintage british cycle and this seams to tick the box , i see there are a couple of resident carlton experts on here so please what do you know chaps?
cheers,
Lee.
IMAG0634.jpg

the green is base colour
IMAG0635.jpg

Any chance of a few better images, looks like Crespera lugs but the seat stay treatment looks unlike the usual wrap over type.

Another point can you see any frame number on it, either on the rear seat stay, BB shell or rear of top of seat tube?

Spokesmann":1kakj605 said:
Any chance of a few better images, looks like Crespera lugs but the seat stay treatment looks unlike the usual wrap over type.

yes i noticed this too, i have cleared all 4 layers of paint from under the bb
starting with the top layer purple, white, green , yellow then metal trying to find the frame no but as you can see X is all thats there , i did check for damage caused when the no's are removed , however there is no damage at all :?
IMAG0645.jpg

IMAG0642.jpg

IMAG0644.jpg

IMAG0643.jpg

Hi all ,I was chatting with the bloke that used to own this ,he got it for his birthday in 69/70 it was originaly the yellow colour with chrome forks the only info he has was it was either a carlton or a raleigh/carlton . It has wienmann center pulls ,ava stem ,mallard hubs ,huret lever and mech, i would love to find out which model this is so i can start the rebuild, many thanks,
Lee.

your stem looks like an Ava:

avastem500.jpg

which have a bad rep! Is the stem 22.0 or 22.2mm OD? If the former then it's almost certainly an Ava. If you can get a 22.2mm stem in there, it would be worth swapping?

I've gleaned this from reading:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

... recently, coincidentally!

cheers for that , it does say ava on the stem ,unsure of size as the battery has gone in the verniers :roll:

update managed to find out that this is a 70 corsair ,its in the que for a rebuild, managed to find some nos tange forks as the originals are rotten. I beleive this is the only year the didnt use the rap-around brake stay,
Lee.

Attachments

• 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,666
I have to say that I'd bin the wheels. Steel rims make the bike sluggish to ride and have appalling braking, especially in the wet.

You could also move to QR hubs and 700c rims. While the purists might shudder a little, it gives you plenty of tyre choice.

Back