Tubular V Clincher???

bigfella

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I am looking at getting a new front wheel and trying to work out what to get.

I use my bike everyday and would like something light weight and very rarely get punchers. I have been thinking of getting a carbon front wheel, but don't know whether to go for a tubular or clincher rim.

Can any one help me with the pros and cons I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Richard

Just get whatever your rear wheel is so you only have to carry one spare ? I would stick with alloy rim for braking/brake pad reasons !

I'd agree with latman on both counts. Carbon rims are light, but really they're not that practical for day-to-day use - they're for racing, really. And you don't want to be carrying tyre levers, a repair outfit, tyre levers, maybe tub tape *and* a spare tub!

That said, HPs (clinchers) are going to be simpler, and it's easier to get reasonably lightweight covers which will give you decent puncture resistance. Tubs tend to be designed for competition nowadays, and are therefore a bit more delicate. They're more hassle to repair / replace when they *do* puncture.

Also have a look at the Dr Sludge innertubes in the size that you get.......I swear by them!
I had a 6mm gash in the tyre once, it went down straight away.....spun hte wheel a bit, pumped it up again and rode all day.

Back