Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:06 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Always ridden modern aluminium framed road bikes,fancy a retro look steel framed bike for a change,like the look of them !!,i'm 6ft tall,would prefer a bike with sti levers but not neccessary if poss, have a budget of up to £400.00 ish,what brands of bike can i expect to get for around this price,what type of tubing should i be looking for as i don't understand what the numbers mean i.e 531 etc as i'm new to the retro world of bikes !!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Where to start! Probably worth having a browse through these forums to see what you fancy.

If you've come from alloy you'll find steel compliant in comparison unless you go for something like columbus max.

With your budget and the requirement for STIs (which limits one to the early 90s on really) I'd be looking at things like the steel Lemonds and Raleighs as a starting point. If you patient you can get something tidy for that price, picked up a complete Lemond GLX for £100 under your budget last year. Do your research and go from there...

Post subject: FIRST STEEL FRAMED RACER
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

THANKS FOR REPLY,HAVE JUST SPOTTED A CLAUD BUTLER ON E BAY NEAR ME IN TORQUAY WITH 631 TUBING AND STI'S STARTING AT £50 LOOKS VERY NICE CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK SEARCHED IT BY PUTTING RACING BIKE IN SEARCH BOX.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:35 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

bobo wrote:
THANKS FOR REPLY,HAVE JUST SPOTTED A CLAUD BUTLER ON E BAY NEAR ME IN TORQUAY WITH 631 TUBING AND STI'S STARTING AT £50 LOOKS VERY NICE CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK SEARCHED IT BY PUTTING RACING BIKE IN SEARCH BOX.

Easy on the CAPS, it's genereally considered to indicate shouting.

Do you have a link?

Post subject: FIRST STEEL FRAMED RACER
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:36 pm 
Dirt Disciple

SORRY FORGOT TO SAY ITS YELLOW IN COLOUR WITH BLUE WRITING ON FRAME AND BLUE RIMS,ITS IN NEWTON ABBOT DEVON NOT TORQUAY SORRY !!.

Post subject: first steely
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:41 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Sorry for the caps in previous messages,item number on e bay is 250798422366 sorry don't know how to forward a link other than letting you have item number hope this helps you find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:16 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Just paste the link.

Solid mid range bike. Nothing extra special, would hope to get hold of that for well under 400 sheets. One potential large problem is that'll be too small if you're 6'.

Post subject: Re: first steely
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:00 am 
Dirt Disciple

Easy on the lower case as it is generally considered to be whispering ( :

bobo wrote:
Sorry for the caps in previous messages,item number on e bay is 250798422366 sorry don't know how to forward a link other than letting you have item number hope this helps you find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I see you have a thread going over on the for sale/wanted area and have a reply about a decent sounding bike.
Re the ebay one in Newton Abbot, If it's really 7 speed STI then getting spares may be a pricey issue, as will upgrading to 8, 9 or 10 speed. The description isn't great as it'll have 700c wheels rather than 27".
Depends if you want a 'classic' steel frame or something more modern like that Dawes.

I'm just down the road from you on the outskirts of Exeter, so if you need any help viewing any bikes locally, I'd be happy to help