riding position

cobby1970

Geoff Capes
I've just recently started riding road again and have my bike set up so my legs are at full stretch without loking my knees out, I dont feel overstretched when on the bars but i'm finding it very uncomfortable on my wrists , if I reduce my seat height the discomfort goes but then i'm not getting full stretch of my legs
What can I do to try and reduce the discomfort with my seat at my desired riding position?

Hard to say without seeing a picture of you on the bike.

Raise the stem perhaps.

Best just to experiment with bar and saddle position until it goes. Try saddle fore/aft movement as well.

If you've just come back to it, your wrists may just need to build up over time.

Very hard to say though from what you've said.

Your legs shouldn't be at full stretch when pedalling. A very rough guide is to put your cycling shoes on and with your heel on the pedal there should still be a slight bend even with the crank in line with the seat tube. When you say your wrists are uncomfortable which position do you spend most time in? Hands on the hoods, drops or tops?
As Ally says some 'photos would be a great help or get yourself to a decent local bike shop and let them take a look.

Mark.

Can I ask why with your heel on the pedal? I always thought that you had you foot in its natural pedalling position ie toes/ball of foot on the pedal and had a slight bend when at the bottom of the stroke
I mainly ride with my hands on the tops of the bars but alternate between that and the hoods
I only have 1 bike shop close to me and unless you're spending 3k on the latest Bianchi he doesn't want to know so getting help from him isn't really an option
Where in West Yorkshire are you as i'm also in WY
I'll see if I can get a picture up of me onboard

Now i've taken a picture of myself on it the bike looks too small for me :?
but feels right when i'm riding it other than the discomfort in the wrists

ridingposition.jpg

Yes, it does look a little small for a traditional framed bike. There looks to be a fair amount of seatpin sticking out. How tall are you and what size is the frame?

I'm no expert by any means so don't put too much store by my opinions but the saddle does look a little high. Have you tried the top tube test where you put the back of your elbow against the saddle nose and stretch your fingers out to see where they come to in relation to the handlebars? They used to say your fingers should reach the middle of the 'bars or for a more stretched flat position anything up to an inch short of them.

I'm near Huddersfield BTW.

Mark.

That does look small, try placing your heels on the pedals with leg fully extended to adjust your saddle height. Also an old fit tip was once your saddle is set and your hands are on the tops the bar should obscure the hub.

I'm 5'11" and believe the frame to be a 57cm, I feel if I buy a larger frame that i'll be stretched further than i'm comfortable with, I like the riding position i get on this bike but just don't like the wrist discomfort that comes with it

Pontefract is my location

The more I look at the picture it does look far too small for me :(

Do you measure TT length centre to centre stemtube to seatpost tube?

Looks like i'm looking for another frame then for my banana project

Back