globetrotter . info wanted

pics

pics of the globetrotter
has dia compe brakes,dated 1981
stronglight crank
simplex gears
501,or 531 tubing.cant make this out due to the word globetrotter printed through the 501/531 decal

any ideas?was this a rebranded frame?looks like a carlton that i also have

globetrotter.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

oldschoolfool":2setgw5v said:
yeah very dry.well done!

have you got to be part of a clique on here to get a decent reply???

Not at all, sometimes people can't resist. I'm guilty of it myself.

As to your bike the only thing I can contribute is that it looks to pre-date 501. I've never seen a 531 sticker like that with the manufacturer's name superimposed onto it. I'm guessing it's only the main tubes that are 531 as the overall frame quality doesn't look to be high end.

Mark.

The Olympic Rings and World Championship Rainbow stripes are a bit of a worry. Only manufacturers that have achieved both of these wins would normally put them on their frames - unless it's all a bit of kidology. The 531 decal is also a bit strange, you can't actually definitely read it as 531 so is it also a bit dubious?

Never heard of the Globetrotter brand myself but it looks quite nice with proper mixte headlugs and chromed forks. A rather strange mix of Japanese and European components as well. And it comes from Great Britain - allegedly ;)

daccordimark":b7rixu5u said:
oldschoolfool":b7rixu5u said:
yeah very dry.well done!

have you got to be part of a clique on here to get a decent reply???

Not at all, sometimes people can't resist. I'm guilty of it myself.

As to your bike the only thing I can contribute is that it looks to pre-date 501. I've never seen a 531 sticker like that with the manufacturer's name superimposed onto it. I'm guessing it's only the main tubes that are 531 as the overall frame quality doesn't look to be high end.

Mark.

hey mark,i guess my reply was a bit OTT,lol.
i'll try and get a better pic of the reynolds decal!

like ive mentioned,i have a carlton frame that is identical to this so maybe is was made in the same factory and then rebranded?

dave

Old Ned":3jqoe4fy said:
The Olympic Rings and World Championship Rainbow stripes are a bit of a worry. Only manufacturers that have achieved both of these wins would normally put them on their frames - unless it's all a bit of kidology. The 531 decal is also a bit strange, you can't actually definitely read it as 531 so is it also a bit dubious?

Never heard of the Globetrotter brand myself but it looks quite nice with proper mixte headlugs and chromed forks. A rather strange mix of Japanese and European components as well. And it comes from Great Britain - allegedly ;)

old ned,yeah i know about the reynolds decal.i cant make it out either.its either 501,or 531.i'll try and get a sharper pic of it and post it up

dave

Back