Long shot frame id

paininthe

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all, longshot I know but quite a unusual paint job. Recognise this frame?

My Uncle raced it early 70s. Thanks in advance for your help.

peter.jpg

Could do with some better pictures, seat cluster, head, hubs and chainset/ bottom bracket area.
From the little I can see the handlebar, stem and brakes (Weinmann 700's?) could have come off a low end Carlton or similar. A racer would have tubular tyres, possibly wheels changed.
The frame looks OK, but longish rear end.
Are you sure it was raced?

keithglos":228s3u19 said:
Could do with some better pictures, seat cluster, head, hubs and chainset/ bottom bracket area.
From the little I can see the handlebar, stem and brakes (Weinmann 700's?) could have come off a low end Carlton or similar. A racer would have tubular tyres, possibly wheels changed.
The frame looks OK, but longish rear end.
Are you sure it was raced?

After my Uncles death, I asked my Auntie for a picture of one of his bikes. I thought it would be one of his race bikes. Now you have mentioned it, it does look very slack and huge clearance on the brakes. He raced internationally for the RAF so will ask for some more information. The thing i remember most about his bikes was the drilling of chain wheels etc.

It certainly has the 'look' of a 1970s Carlton - forks for a start.

The graphics say otherwise though, it could well be Peugeot.

I'm intregued.
I can't get Witcomb out of my head now you've mentioned it.
The downtube transfer is white like a Witcomb, but so was BSA/Carlton/Dawes/GB/hugh Porter. Though there's no fork lamp bracket as often found on those bikes.

The frames brown isn't it? that made me think Carlton straight away.

one-eyed_jim":1lpyat5l said:
Could it be a Witcomb?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witcomb_Cycles

My first thought was that the down-tube transfer looks like "WITCOMB" in block letters. Compare the style of decals of this track frame, with the World Champion bands on the seat tube:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_J0B-vOMB2v0/S ... G_3659.JPG

Lilac was the traditional Witcomb team colour, but it's hard to tell the colours in your picture.

I was seeing "W" and "I" on the down tube transfer as well...

Thanks for your help / suggestions. I shall be seeing my Aunt over the weekend and offer her some of these to Jolt her memory. Thanks again.

Don't think it's a Peugeot in hindsight. Had a flip through some of their catalogues around that sort of time and none of them had half-chrome forks or the same detail on the seat tube.

Back