Fausto Coppi K14 - Suggest me a colour scheme

Ndeipi

Dirt Disciple
I'd like some advice on colour schemes please!

I bought this Fausto Coppi K14 fixed conversion on eBay. I am stripping it and using the frame for a road bike, (giving it the full Shimano 600 tricolor treatment). Can anyone tell me anything much about the frame? I think it's from around 1999.

Frame: Pearl. It's not a dull beige as the photos suggest, but actually pearlescent cream.
Wheels: Black. (Not the silver ones pictured).

Time has come to choose saddle, bar tape, tyre and cables!

Colour options:
Green
As the Coppi logo is green, I was thinking of making everything green. Still, there are so many shades of green, it might not all match.

Red
Most red shades are very similar, and so will match well.

Pink
I think pink bar tape and a pink saddle could look good with black tyres.

Brown
I've seen brown leather saddle/tape work with pearl paint before.

Yellow
Only thing I'll rule out is yellow, as it won't go with the pearl paint.

I'd like to use Benotto tape if possible. I have a white leather Turbo saddle which can be dyed any shade I please! Failing that, I'll happily buy a coloured vintage Rolls saddle if I can find one.

Attachments

• Coppi.jpg
    Coppi.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3,467
  • Coppi2.jpg
    Coppi2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 3,467
good god why would someone have done that to a Coppi?! thanks for saying you are gonna do it as a proper road build!

i have the model above this, the Galaxy, the K14 is lighter than mine though as it was, if memory serves the climbers choice (seem to remember being told it was called the K14 because it weighed 1.4kg, whether this was with or without the fork i don't know though) where as the Galaxy was the sprinters choice, they were used by team Polti in 98/99 i think, they were built with Dura Ace. there was some genuine Fausto Coppi bar tape you could get, white with Fausto Coppi written on it so it spiraled around the bar as you taped it, the lettering was in black, red or blue depending which one you chose.

the frames were built in Italy under license by Masciagi (think thats how it's spelt, should be written on the non drive chainstay) and should not be confused with the taiwan built frames.

they ride really nice

please do it justice as these are very nice frames :)

oh and the original rrp was 899 for the frame and fork, the galaxy was 1099 for the frame and alloy fork as opposed to you steel fork.

the other colour choice for your frame was a deep navy blue

:)

Thanks for all the info!

Yes there are a couple of Masciagi decals on the frame. The build quality seems great, with super-smooth weld seams.

Any idea where I'd get that Fausto Coppi bar tape? Google and eBay searches bear no fruit. I was thinking of using Benotto over some thin silva tape, to get both padding and bling. Basically I want to have have my cake and eat it.

Given the pedigree, I'd be hesitant to make the colours too garish. Still, I'd like something a bit more eye-catching that just black/black/black. Thinking green or pink so far. Finding decent tyres in the exact colour might be difficult though...

Ndeipi":1xrmzizr said:
Thanks for all the info!

Yes there are a couple of Masciagi decals on the frame. The build quality seems great, with super-smooth weld seams.

Any idea where I'd get that Fausto Coppi bar tape? Google and eBay searches bear no fruit. I was thinking of using Benotto over some thin silva tape, to get both padding and bling. Basically I want to have have my cake and eat it.

Given the pedigree, I'd be hesitant to make the colours too garish. Still, I'd like something a bit more eye-catching that just black/black/black. Thinking green or pink so far. Finding decent tyres in the exact colour might be difficult though...

Green, or maybe green/white/red? Might even be able to get some of those limited edition "Italian flag" Michelin Axial Pros NOS off t'internet to complement it?

David

Just googled the Michelin Axial Pro Giro d'Italia tyres. They look beautiful. Can't find anyone selling them, except one vintage bike parts seller/hoarder in Brazil who is asking about £110/pair.

Only others I found were the fantastically rare “IL GUERRIERO” tyres by Vittoria.

They'd go well with some Cinelli Italian Flag Cork Tape. Not sure what I'd do for a saddle though!

Just found these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RARE-Pair-Miche ... 500wt_1156

This guy has got around the rare tyre issue by using red rims:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65666

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
i have use those green axial tyres, they are very good and don't look as garish as you'd think, the multi coloured ones though :shock: please don't do it! :shock:

as far as that tape though, my old shop might still have some but it's a very long shot, GA cycles 02380 636648, ask for Gary, and say Jon said to ask after a chat on retrobike.

it is cork tape though.

Back