Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:10 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Question about stems
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:17 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,

I have a question about quill stems. I want to replace the stem on my Koga RecordPro. Currently it is fitted with a stem like the above picture. I want to replace this stem by a Cinelli stem, like the bottom picture.

These stems seems to have different mounting methods. The current stem has a big movable bolt at the bottom, while the Cinelli hasn't. Now, the question is...... Can i replace the current stem with the Cinelli without any problems?

Thanks in advance! :D

Yvo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Yup that'll be fine. They're just variations of expander methods.

Last edited by Tel on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 pm 
Retrobike's #1 Comedy Genius
Retrobike's #1 Comedy Genius

yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks for the quick answers! :D
I'm going to order the Cinelli stem!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Bear in mind that most Cinelli stems are for bars of 26.4mm diameter whereas most other handlebars and stems are 26.0mm - you can shim it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:44 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Not so fast...

You need to make sure the handlebar diameter is the same as the stem clamp size.

Most Japanese bars use a 26mm diameter, although over the years they have made them in 25.0mm or 25.4mm.

Cinelli's proprietry sizing was 26.4mm right up until about 1994, when they changed to 26.0mm. This means that almost all Cinelli bars and stems are 26.4mm.

If the bar is too big for the stem, you will probably be able to get it in, but you will leave deep ugly scratches on your bars. If the stem clamp is too big for the bar, it will slide in, but even if you tighten it up fully, the bars will be a loose fit, and the first bump in the road will cause your bars to slip, potentially sending you over the bars and onto the pavement. A potential solution is to put a shim in, such as a strip of aluminium from a coke can, but a better solution is to buy a stem that is the same size as the bars you are currently using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:45 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Ooops. Someone else posted a more succinct answer whilst I was typing. D'oh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:48 pm 
Dirt Disciple

monty dog wrote:
Bear in mind that most Cinelli stems are for bars of 26.4mm diameter whereas most other handlebars and stems are 26.0mm - you can shim it out

Quote:
Not so fast...

You need to make sure the handlebar diameter is the same as the stem clamp size.

Most Japanese bars use a 26mm diameter, although over the years they have made them in 25.0mm or 25.4mm.

Cinelli's proprietry sizing was 26.4mm right up until about 1994, when they changed to 26.0mm. This means that almost all Cinelli bars and stems are 26.4mm.

If the bar is too big for the stem, you will probably be able to get it in, but you will leave deep ugly scratches on your bars. If the stem clamp is too big for the bar, it will slide in, but even if you tighten it up fully, the bars will be a loose fit, and the first bump in the road will cause your bars to slip, potentially sending you over the bars and onto the pavement. A potential solution is to put a shim in, such as a strip of aluminium from a coke can, but a better solution is to buy a stem that is the same size as the bars you are currently using.

Yes, i know that. :) I'm also going to order a Cinelli bar with a 26.4 clampsize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:44 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Actually, I just had a proper look at the picture of the stem. That's a Cinelli Oyster. From memory they are 26.0mm, but it's not important for that model, because the clamp is hinged. You remove the black front cover plate, and the whole assembly swings down. This means it will happily clamp a 26 or a 26.4mm handlebar without needing a shim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 am 
Dirt Disciple

Toff wrote:
Actually, I just had a proper look at the picture of the stem. That's a Cinelli Oyster. From memory they are 26.0mm, but it's not important for that model, because the clamp is hinged. You remove the black front cover plate, and the whole assembly swings down. This means it will happily clamp a 26 or a 26.4mm handlebar without needing a shim.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

I actually ordered this specific stem, which has a 26.4mm clampsize.