1952 - Claud Butler 'New All Rounder'

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Claud Butler 'New All Rounder'
Built December 1952

I've just been lucky enough to become the owner of this. Had been waiting in anticipation for about two weeks and it finally arrived on Monday. Should have taken some photos of it as it was, but had a day off work, got excited, so started to strip down (the bike that is!) to clean up parts and frame.

Not all original spec, so deciding whether put back together and to ride as is, or sell or swap some of the non-period bits that were on it and replace with correct ones. Already decided to replace the alloy GB Spearpoint stem and no name bars it had with the steel one and beautiful GB Maitland bars that are in the photos. Photos of frame and parts that were on it below. Will put all the specifics of bits below under the photos. Have a few questions about exactly what model some of the parts may be, as they seem to have been updated over the years, so any help gratefully received.

claud_butler_dec_1952.jpg

claud_butler_dec_1952_2.jpg

claud_butler_dec_1952_3.jpg

head_lug_profile.jpg

head_lug_front.jpg

bb_shell.jpg

campag_3320_sport_crank.jpg

gran_sport_hub.jpg

gran_sport_rear.jpg

(wheel on wrong way!)

gear_levers.jpg

parts.jpg

silca_impero.jpg

derailleurs.jpg

Claud Butler 'New All Rounder'
Built December 1952

Basing the model on: http://www.nkilgariff.com/CBcats/Cat_52/NewAllrounder52.jpg and http://www.nkilgariff.com/CBcats/Cat_52/Features52.jpg

Frame - 'New All Rounder' with Bilaminate construction. Resprayed at some point. Transfers look to be vinyl cut and lettering is a bit 'thicker' than originals I've seen.
Forks - sadly I'm pretty certain these aren't original, the steerer is very long and uncut, hence the massive spacer. Nice forks though and very nice lugs too.

Original / Period parts:
Stem and Bars - came with Alloy GB Spearpoint - complete with original GB pinch bolt! No name Maes bars. Replaced with GB Kromo Spearpoint and GB Maitland bars
Brakes - GB Superhood levers and GB Hiduminium Brakes
Hubs - Campagnolo Gran Sport single sided for freewheel.

Non Original:
Rims - Mavic MA2 32/40h rims.
Headset - ???? Omas top nut, huge spacer, cups - Maybe early Strada? WIll find out when I pull the fork at the weekend.
Crankset - Campagnolo 3320 Sport. Rare 1971 three arm steel cotterless crankset.
Gear Levers - ???? Campagnolo Nuovo Record? Tried to look in Campagnolo Catalogues, don't look like earlier Gran Sport braze on levers I don't think, so I'm assuming Nuovo Record
Front Derailleurs - ???? Campagnolo Super Record
Rear - Campagnolo Nuovo Record - 2nd Gen? Also doesn't have any patent date on it unlike many other Nuovo Record ones. Wondering if this is this quite common or unusual???
Shimano BB and Freewheel so will definitely change these, and might mean wrong taper axle for crankset.

Will aim to update this thread as I probably try to get correct period parts for it. Might be a slow process as I try to finish getting my Rotrax finally finished, will put that up too when it gets back from painters.

enjoy ! the pur'ish will not like it, but you have one of the best frames every build, the serial number is key ? Is it an all rounder or avant coureur ? Terry

OldTel":2zbicox1 said:
enjoy ! the pur'ish will not like it, but you have one of the best frames every build, the serial number is key ? Is it an all rounder or avant coureur ? Terry

Yeah, I'd wanted one for a while after coveting another similar one owned locally from 1953. And, i'll probably aim to make it more period specific, maybe the purists can get on board as I do! Not sure I could manage to accumulate all the parts as detailed specifically for this model though in the catalogue for 1952. I do have some Dunlop Special Lightweight rims on the way, which would be correct, but they're meant for something else. I also want to make sure I build it with parts that will make me want to ride it.

The parts shown are what arrived on it after I bought it, and not what I intend to keep permanently. Was also wondering if the twin gear lever braze ons would be original or not?

I'll need to check the serial number. I know part of it is 1252, or is it 5212, can't remember which way round! But indicating Dec 1952. There is a row with another four or so numbers, I'll need to look to see in the morning.

I was guessing New All Rounder rather than Avant Coureur based on the Catalogue descriptions from 1952 found on www.nkilgariff.com.

The Avant Coureur 'Special' for that year is described as having long spearpoint bi lams and wrap over seat cluster, whereas the New Allrounder sounds more like mine - with chamfered, fluted seatstays at the seat cluster and the New All Rounder lugs as shown under the 1952 catalogue features section.

Yeah, I spotted that. Incredibly lovely. Seat cluster is so nice on that one. But way too big for me and too expensive!

I did get this one on ebay too, but the complete bike. Although it was meant to be pick up only so I paid a bit extra to cover the posting and packing and his being kind enough to change his mind and send out. Have to say, turned out to be one of the friendliest chaps I've ever dealt with buying anything from anywhere ever. And all in all an excellent deal!

No date on the NR mech means it is one of the early ones manufactured before they started dating them. This and the 'holy' front mech are really much to modern for the frame I would say. However, it obviously has Campag lever bosses which could well have been a later add-on as I reckon that it would have had band-on levers originally if they were Campag ones. A Gran Sport rear mech and Gran Sport 'matchbox' front mech would be OK with 'Open C' levers to be strictly correct.

Very nice frame, I look forward to seeing it complete. Good price, especially with that chainset included.

Thanks for the reply Old Ned.

I'd asumed the lever bosses were later additions, so good to get some more confirmation on that. My plan had been to just use the bits that came with it, but reckon I'll try to pick up more correct Gran Sport parts. probably make do with the levers though, as I don't think I'll repaint, and seems a over the top to remove the bosses so I can have the correct band ons. Did they make braze on 'Open C' ones?

Yes, I do love these Sport chainsets. It was one of the elements that fired me on to buy the bike. I'll not use it on this though. And not sure how soon I'll have a project for it either. It'll need to look pretty in the meantime or if I spend too much on parts I need I might have to flog it.!

Campag levers are the same for clip and braze on so either type will fit on your bosses. All you need is a separate back-plate and the various washers etc. to convert from clip to braze.

Back