Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:25 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:23 pm 
Retro Guru

I'll stick some photos up asap, to supplement my dodgy description, but essentially I want to whip the pedal assembles off my 1970's Carlton Corsa, leaving the crank arms bare. There's what looks like a rivet on the inner face of the crank with an indentation at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions on the rim and then a short metal cylinder between the outer face of the crank arm and the inner end of the pedal. This has two flat faces on it that looks like it's meant to take a wrench of some kind and unscrew. If anyone knows which of these I should be attacking to get the pedals out, (or indeed, if it's something else entirely...) I'd love to hear from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:27 pm 
Retro Guru

You should use an open end spanner probably 15mm on the flats on the outside of the crank. As you look at the rh pedal, turn anticlockwise, that is right hand thread, Left pedal is left hand thread.
You may need a spanner about a foot long, and try to place it first along the line of the crank, crossing the end of the bracket axle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Typically you need a 15mm pedal wrench - you're unlikely to get enough leverage with a regular spanner. Point crank forward towards front wheel - fit wrench to pedal in-line with the crank (i.e. towards wheel). Grab wrench with both hands and pull-up as you press down with foot on pedal - works in most case - if not you need more leverage - try your LBS.