Bikes seen out and about

fiks

Retro Guru
I'm going to start taking a photo whenever I see an old bike when I'm out.

So OK most of these bikes tend be used by non-cyclist, just people who ride an old bike for transport. Therefore they're usually the wrong size, either with the saddle sticking half a mile out of the frame or set too low. And quite a lot are commuting bikes, probably locked up all day in the street, so tend not to be your Sunday best bikes.

First is this green Cinelli, the low end model (Model B?). Maybe a few original parts.

cinelli.jpg

Aende with gears levers set to the forward position, then removed! Also no back brake.

aende.jpg

Here you go:

Carlton Pro-Am, looks like early 80s. Possibly with original parts.
carltonproam.jpg

Bob Jackson, maybe 70s. Record rear hub with Mavic rims, huge clearances so maybe frame was built for 27in wheels.

bobjackson1.jpg

bobjackson2.jpg

I've been meaning to start this thread for ages, but haven't been able to because I keep forgetting to take my camera out and about! Well done Fiks. It is good to see bikes being well used even if the thought of chaining mine to the railings all day gives me the heebie jeebies...

I'll make sure I take my camera next time I'm out and about :D

That's why mobile phone cameras are so handy!

Raleigh Clubman, about early 80s, I think, unfortunately fitted with "Noddy" bars. Probably only the headset, stem, saddle and seatpin are original:
raleighclubman.jpg

Benotto frame, prob early 80s, not original paint. Again, ridiculous bars:
benotto.jpg

Harry Quinn track frame:
harryquinn.jpg

OK now for a proper bike; Battaglin in dark flam blue with Triomphe parts and white Look pedals:
battaglinright1.jpg

battaglinright2.jpg

battaglinright3.jpg

Proper curve on the forks:
battaglinforks.jpg

There's often a load of really nice ones chained up outside the Royal Society if any of you are scientists :)

Further camera / nice bike interface failure happened to me today in Dunham Massey, near Altrincham, with what I'm guessing was a Hetchins purely on the basis of the chromed baroque splendour of its immensely complicated lugs.

I will take my camera out and about next week, I promise...

I saw the Battaglin again the other day in the same street, but with a different saddle. I think it's probably one of the lower end frame, maybe Aelle.

Longstaff tricycle seen at a boot sale (not for sale)
longstafftricycle.jpg

BSA Tour de France, I bet someone here lusted after one of these in the 70s.
bsatourdefrance.jpg

Latest posts

Back