Mystery Merckx

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
I took a punt on the bike in this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150568800068

listing the other week and after a few comedy emails back and forth regarding location and collection, I'm almost set to go. I was supposed to drive up and collect it this weekend but illness prevented that. A friend works near the seller and so will collect it for me, probably Wed or Thu.

The question is, what doe sthe collective RB wisdom reckon it is?! There's nothing at all in the description, and the poor pic - from the wrong side - gives little away. The description just says

"Race bike : make Eddy Merckx ; silver-grey colour ; size frame 58 ( see photo )"
Koersfiets : merk Eddy Merckx ; zilvergrijze kleur ; maat kader 58 ( zie foto )

but from the pic I'm hard pressed to even convince myself 100% that it's a Merckx - though the decals look consistent with late 80s/early 90s Merckx ones, if I squint at them just right. The fork looks like a straight-blade Time carbon one, but equally could be straight-blade steel one with a Time sticker, I suppose! The components look ok though, apart from the spuds and ugly quill adaptor for the stem and what appears to be a bell on the side. The seatpost look like an aero Campag while the Ergos are all-alloy so probably Chorus at least. The dual pivot brake calipers have silver shoes, and there's some variant of Flite on top.

As for the frame, it's welded rather than lugged and the front mech is clamped not brazed - so I really don't know what I've got lined up for myself. So what will it be? Trash or Treasure?? Is it even a Merckx??? The anticipation is killing me ...

Cheers,
Gareth.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That one mediocre pic isn't very helpfull. You have more? Is the 200 the price you agreed on? In case yes, I wouldn't fear too much.

Isn't it ti? If the tt guides are welded on, I would think it could very well be it is. Dito for if it isn't magnetic of course, but we won't get that from a pic.

Am I right on that I see bare al ends on the fork? If so, it won't be a steel fork.

Sorry, no more pics and no further info from the seller. I was just searching on 'Merckx' and saw this one ending soon, so took a punt.

It's mine for the 200€ bid that I placed - it was a standard 7-day listing starting at 200€ and no reserve or BIN. I was the the only bidder, hardly surprising when so badly listed.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Jesus! It can't possibly be, surely not?! I'm not even certain it'll even be a Merckx yet, though the decals are consistent. Wishful thinking ...

I think it isn't. 200 is too much. I recommend to let the seller know you do not take it. Give me his details and I am willing to offer my help with disposing it.

garethrl":3nbsdwbe said:
Jesus! It can't possibly be, surely not?! I'm not even certain it'll even be a Merckx yet, though the decals are consistent. Wishful thinking ...

Decals are indeed pretty similar apart from the detail on the top of the seat tube. If it is for 200 euro that would be a keen price. Good luck ;)

I'll be watching this with interest as agree that it could well be a Litespeed built Merckx Titanium. Even if it is 'just' steel then it's certainly tidy enough with the kit you can make out, especially for 200 euros.

Surely with this level of suspense you'll drive and collect tonight?

ededwards":5s5e1yek said:
Surely with this level of suspense you'll drive and collect tonight?

with a magnet in one hand and 200 euros in the other . :LOL:

Back