Raleigh Record Ace

alanf1968

Old School Hero
My 1984 model, now part restored, getting the mechanical stuff right, before another full strip for a re-spray, this one will be my daily commuter/training/touring bike

Attachments

• Image0096.jpg
    Image0096.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,162
I have stripped it down to the frame again today, going for original re-spray by Phil "the skill" on wednesday and will get a new set of wheels, hopefully get some pics up of the finnished job soon

Hey, I wonder if you could help me?
I've got a 1987 Raleigh Record Sprint, and am looking to upgrade the wheels. I think they're originally the same as yours. What wheels did you change to?

Thanks!

Andy

The Record Sprint uses 700c wheels, my Record Ace uses 27 x 1 1/4, 2 reasons for the difference, the Record Ace is slightly older and in the early 80s a touring bike had 27" whilst racier bikes such as the sprint would be fitted with 700c.

Rear spacing on the frame has changed in recent years to allow more gears, so check the rear hub width also if you change wheels

Thanks Alan.
I bought some Charge wheels, though the fit doesn't work for some reason. I measured my frame spacing - it's 125/126mm. As the Charges were 120mm that must be why they didn't fit. Do you know if the new wheels could just be spaced out differently to accommodate?

It maybe possible to pack the axle out with a spacer, however it maybe worth taking what you have to a decent local bike shop for their recommendations, as without seeing what you actually have and need it is becoming difficult to be sure

Thanks for getting back to me.
Took frame and wheels to Evans (where I got the wheels from), and they got them to fit. Essentially 'wedging' the forks over the axle got the wheels to fit. Not so much technical 'cold-setting', as there was only a few mm in it!

Thanks,

Andy

That looks a nice bike, I have an '86 record ace (have made a seperate post about it), which has a different colour scheme, I think I prefer the colour of yours though.

Pretty sure mine has 700c wheels rather than 27", was the mid '80's about when they changed to 700c?

Rich

Its one from my collection of 4 Raleigh Record Aces now, this colour scheme ran from 1981 to 1985 with 27" wheeles, the graphics and some components changed, 700c wheels had been fitted to racing bikes, however the Record Ace in the 80s was a fast tourer/clubman type bike, what would now be referred to as an audax bike, in 1986 they changed the colour scheme in an effort to move forward with fashios, and 700c wheels appeared. I dont think it was a good move by Raleigh as the modern rather than classic look was followed by a decline in sales

I saw mine in the catalogue ('87 I think?) referred to as a cyclo-sportif bike. Definitely heavier duty than a racer, with the full guards and 25mm tyres. From what I can tell, the full road equivalent would have been the Road Ace?

This bike would suit me more though being a slower rider prefering tourer type bikes. My only addition to it would be my carradice saddle bag.

Latest posts

Back