It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:15 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

wired99 wrote:
That sounds cool....
I did my first time trial ever on Suday, 15 miler. I was a little dismayed to see a whole heap of spanking new carbon lo-pro beasts when I got there and even turbo trainers along the kerbs..
Yes, I did feel a little silly turning up on '79 Koga... :oops: :D

Take no notice of the carbon based life forms. TT'ing is - for the normal ones amongst us (the also-rans basically :wink: ) - a ride against yourself. So if you've only ever riddena '79 Koga before - then carry on with it so that you can get a fair comparison. If you want to spend a SUBSTANTIAL amount of money competing with the 'must-have-the-latest-aero-carbon-thingy' crowd then your times will in all probability improve but is it worth it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Old Ned wrote:
daccordimark wrote:
Damn! 1980 is 5 years too early for my oldest contender. I wonder how closely they'll scrutinize the bikes? Also I'm not sure I can ride 25 miles at race pace anyway! More like 2.5!

Mark.

Go on, you can do it! You've got several weeks to train yourself up to peak fitness. :twisted:

I wouldn't want to break the rules of the event by riding a modern fangled bike made later than 1980 although it would be a road racing machine within the spirit of the event with exposed brake cables etc. I actually never had a time trial bike BITD, the closest I got was putting Dia-Compe aero brake levers on my bike.

That's my excuse for not entering anyway.

Mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Entries will be closing very soon. Anyone entering? I probably will be.

Especially anyone from this area to carshare?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Old Ned wrote:

Much as I would like to dip a tentative toe back into TT waters I'm crying off with the convenient excuse I posted earlier. If there's a similar event later in the season with a 1985 cut-off date I would be up for it as I'll have got a few more miles in by then. I like the idea of everyone being on old bikes to avoid the p*ss-taking from the serious guys.

Good luck on the day if you enter.

Mark.

PS: I hope there's a photographer there to record all the hard men on proper steel bikes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:32 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

daccordimark wrote:
Old Ned wrote:

Much as I would like to dip a tentative toe back into TT waters I'm crying off with the convenient excuse I posted earlier. If there's a similar event later in the season with a 1985 cut-off date I would be up for it as I'll have got a few more miles in by then. I like the idea of everyone being on old bikes to avoid the p*ss-taking from the serious guys.

Mark.

PS: I hope there's a photographer there to record all the hard men on proper steel bikes!

I can lend you one.

Get out of that :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Old Ned wrote:
daccordimark wrote:
Old Ned wrote:

Mark.

I can lend you one.

Easy:

1. I couldn't possibly risk damaging someone else's pride and joy. I once borrowed a friend's wheels for one race and he was quite rightly mortified when I returned them with marks on the sidewalls from braking.

2. As a finely tuned athlete who is but one half of a perfect man/machine synergy I don't think there is time before the event to optimally re-define the interface parameters and my physiology to adapt to a different bike without severely reducing the performance potential of either man or machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

daccordimark wrote:
Old Ned wrote:
daccordimark wrote:
Old Ned wrote:

Mark.

I can lend you one.

Easy:

1. I couldn't possibly risk damaging someone else's pride and joy. I once borrowed a friend's wheels for one race and he was quite rightly mortified when I returned them with marks on the sidewalls from braking.

2. As a finely tuned athlete who is but one half of a perfect man/machine synergy I don't think there is time before the event to optimally re-define the interface parameters and my physiology to adapt to a different bike without severely reducing the performance potential of either man or machine.

:shock: Cor, you've blinded me with all them sientifick words and that. Does that all mean you don't reckon you're up to it then? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:02 pm 
Retro Guru

Are you suggesting I am attempting to confuse and befuddle you into thinking there is a good reason for me not doing the race as opposed to me just being a big girls blouse? Because if you are......

You'd be right. :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

I've entered it - wonder how many entries there'll be?

Probably going to ride my 1958 Pennine as it's the oldest rideable bike I've currently got.

Combined age of rider and bike - 117.