Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:12 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Presto bikes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 pm 
Retro Guru

Anybody ridden , or seen a Columbus thron presto rapido. Has the 3. X's of Amsterdam panto , looks really nice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:47 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Hi PT,

I do not have experience with it, but I would say it is a nice frame. Presto is from Amsterdam of course and if I recall correctly Loek Valk (owner of Presto since 70s) told me they were made locally (by a builder I do not recall the name of) untill somewhere early 90s. Later steel frames were built in the south of The Netherlands. I do not know where nowadays Prestos have their origins, but we know how it works in the cycling bizz these days.

I would think that Rapido Extra is circa mid 90s. The frame you are referring to doesn't look generic to me - far from. It is very distinctive. I love the blades that look like Max-blades to me. Never knew they could also be part of a Thron tube set :? An own selection? The Andreas crosses in the stays are derived of the A'dam coat of arms. The Presto graphics are the right ones. I like them better than the later Italic ones. The drop outs unveil the builder for this frame :wink: The builder is very skilled and enjoys a great repution.

I several times covered ealier Prestos built by Jan Legrand, Peter Serier or Bertus Slesker on Retrobike. None of them built for Presto after somewhere early 80s.

Post subject: presto
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 pm 
Retro Guru

that's really informative, thanks
spent a couple of days in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago, wandered all around the jordaan district, got home to find i'd gone past the RIH workshop and not seen it.There's a fab little film on the net in which he builfds a steel bike, really well filmed.
I offered on the presto, make a nice memento of the trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:32 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Yes, RIH is still in bizz. Mr Vd Kaaij can built you a thoroughbred like they always used to do: steel, lugged. Many possibilties, all custom. I do not know how long he will continu doing it. Mr Vd Kaaij is not the youngest and real estate prices in the area make alternative functions than framebuilding attractive. If I had a 1500-2000 euro for a frame reserved, I would grab my chance.

RIHs are raced to no less than 63 world and olympic titles.