Chrome pitting

CB

Dirt Disciple
I've just got a Mercian and while I love it, it has some issues.

The forks are chrome dipped and heavily pitted, probably not bad enough to worry about at the moment but I'm thinking they will be a complete state by next winter.

What do I do?

Is sandblasting them an option? Will I ever get a smooth finish again?

I've had absolutely no experience with chrome so yeah, I don't really know what to do with them.
I just know I don't want to have to loose them one day... Infact I know so little I don't know if they are un-workable already!

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a read.

Although by the looks of the pictures on it, my 'pitting' is a million times worse, I'm looking at more of an option to get rid of the chrome and start again, some of the chrome is even flaking off. :(

You can clean up the chrome using full fat Coke and cooking foil. No I am not joking. get a ball of foil pour on some coke and rub at the rust/pitting. works well. You will have to give the chrome a good waxing to help protect it.

The only option to remove the chrome is to send to a chromers and get them to chemicaly remove it. You may as well get it redone at the same time. But you will then have to get the fork re painted.

Hope that helps

Back